Chapter 24

Calico P.O.V.

I set a bowl of sugared strawberries in front of the child. He was sitting, with his shoulders hunched forward, as he stared holes into my granite table top.

Bones sat across from him staring at him, curiously. I walked around and leaned against him. He wrapped his arm around my waist, growling softly.

"Well, are you going to say anything?" I asked.

He shook his head. 

"I see, you don't feel like talking. Well, I'm a patient person," I glared, " I can wait."

I manipulated the air around him and moved it away as he exhaled, taking the oxygen with it. I watched him jerk in his seat. He looked up at me in panic. His hands shot up to his throat and he started making gagging sounds.

I watched with cold eyes as his faced turned ash grey and then a pale blue.

Bones rubbed his hands along my arm and I released my hold on the air. He collapsed forward in his seat, gasping for air. His color quickly returned to normal in his face.

I looked him over, curiously. He should have been able to manipulate the soul of the air and fight for control of it.

"Oh, are you ready to speak? That was, awfully, quick," I stated. He glared at me as he kept silent.

"You're not, okay then," I took away his oxygen again. He held his breath, to keep in whatever oxygen he had. It wouldn't last long.

I appraised his color in amusement. He was slowly turning red and, finally, he gasped. He began choking immediately. He stared at me in desperation.

"What's wrong?" I raised an eyebrow feigning innocence, "Oxygen is needed to speak and you clearly don't want to speak. So you don't need oxygen, it would be a waste on you."

I smiled brightly at him as if I had discovered something so amazingly logical.

His eyes welled up with tears. He slowly started to stop struggling. When his chin touched the table he finally gave a tiny little nod, that was barely visible.

I released the oxygen and waited for him to catch his breath.

"You done?" I asked, when he was finally breathing, properly.

He glared at me, "Yes," he mumbled.

"Eat your fruit and start talking," I ordered. He looked at the fruit, suspiciously.

I took a strawberry and popped the sweet tart fruit into my mouth.

"It's not poisoned, now talk. Unless, you really don't want to breath?"

He grabbed a handful and shoved it into his mouth. He quickly swallowed and looked at me. I nodded my approval.

"Now, start from the beginning," I ordered.

He grimaced and nodded, reluctantly, "It's actually really, simple. I'm an orphan, ran from the orphanage, Uncle Henney found me, and he noticed I looked like his late sister, who died from childbirth. We did a blood test and we found out I am his nephew."

"Orphan?" I repeated and looked at Bones, "Oh, we get it."

The kid looked at me in confusion, "What?"

"What's your name?" I asked, instead of answering.

"Kyle."

"Well, Kyle, you've been played for a fool."

He scowled at me, "What are you talking about?"

Bones ran his hand through my hair as I spoke, "First, Hennessy is not your Uncle. Second, if you want to find out if you're mother is dead or alive, you could have summoned her soul."

He looked at me in confusion.

I raised an eyebrow at his perplexed expression, "Do you not know what you are?"

He looked wary, now, "What do you mean?"

"You at least know that you aren't human, right?"

He scratched his head, "I know, I'm different."

I tilted my head and looked at Bones. He looked back at me and shrugged.

"Well," I stood and gestured to Kyle, "Lets go."

He stood, frowning, "Where are we going?"

"It seems you know nothing. It's fine. Depending on the outcome, I will make my decision."

"What outcome?"

I walked outside, listening to Bones warn Kyle not to run.