Chapter 21

Bones' P.O.V.

Hot water cascaded down my back as I scrubbed the aftermath of Cali and and my love-making. To say I was surprised at the sudden turn of events would be an understatement. Never in a million years would I even think she would allow me near her. To touch her. Then, she's the one who initiated it? I must be dreaming.

I turned off the water and shook my hair out. I walked out of the bathroom and got changed in some clothes Cali had gone out and grabbed for me.

I listened to the test of the house to pin point where she is and heard her in the kitchen.
I follow the sounds of the cutting board and watched her slice off the top of some strawberries.

Her expression was cold and unfeeling again...almost.

Her cheeks were tinted slightly pink, her eyes, a little too bright, and the corner of her mouth was twitching as if she was fighting a smile. I smirked.

I went and stood behind her, enfold in my arms around her. She tensed a little before relaxing against me. I frowned in disappointment at her beginning reaction. As if to appease my sudden disappointment, I felt something slide around me and against me, comforting me. It felt like transparent silk with a buzzing of soft energy. It was warm and filled my head with a soft golden light. Like I was standing in a forest and surrounded by gold and red leaves as the sun beamed down on me. I embraced Cali closer to me and burrowed my head into her neck, blowing on her exposed skin. I smiled when she gasped, slightly, and arched her neck a little.

I chuckled, "You seem happy, My. Kitty."

She looked back up at me and took on a haughty expression, "What's to be happy about?"

I took a strawberry and popped it in my mouth, barely tasting the sweet tartness of the red berry. I reached for another one and she hissed and smacked my hand away.

"What are we doing today?" I asked. I looked at the counter and saw chocolates and a pot, fioked with water,and a glass bowl, " what are you making?"

She gave me a blank look as if what I asked was so stupidly obvious.

I scowled and she giggled. My jaw dropped.

I died.

I just died.

There it is, my soul flying right to heaven.

She giggled.

I made her giggle. It was like bells.

"What in the hell are you doing over there?"

I blinked out of my euphoria and realized I was kneeling at her balcony window with my hand raised towards the sun (heaven).

I tilted my head back and saw her looking at me with a concerned, irritated look on her face.

I stood up and coughed in embarrassment, "Nothing, just being stupid."

She scowled, "Well, stop being stupid and get your stupid ass back over here."

I flitted to her side and hugged her to me, "Aww, did you miss me, Kitten?"

"Never mind, get away."

"Don't worry, Love, you can be honest with me."

"I'll stab you. I'll do it."

"I'll never leave you alone, again."

"😑"

"What's with that look?" I asked, for some reason that expression irking my nerves.

"Nothing."

"You didn't answer my questions before."
She sighed and started boiling the water, sticking the glass bowl in the water with it.

"We're not doing anything today and I'm making chocolate dipped strawberries."

I stared at her. She ignored me for a moment, before finally giving in with a sigh, "what?"

"We're not doing anything today?"

"No."

"Did I miss something? I thought you were obsessed with finding Hennessy."

"You're looking for him, too."

"I'm not obsessed ."

"Neither am I."

"Yes, you are. You want revenge for Win-"

I was flying. Pain erupted in my back as I crashed into the wall, leaving behind a dent as I fell to the ground. I sat up at the sound of Calico hissing like a feral cat.

Her eyes were glaring at me, "I will allow no leech to speak her name."

I watched her, my heart dropping. She didn't completely give up her prejudice of vampires.

She blinked, her eyes clearing. She looked at me and a flash of guilt swept through her eyes, before her features hardened and became cold.

Seems the Ice Queen is back.

I dusted myself off as she ignored my existence and continued with her strawberries.

She didn't say anything, but I felt that same touch running over me as if checking for injuries. I stilled. Whatever it was, it was very possessive of me.

I looked over at Calico and noticed she looked pale and her lip was a little pinched. She looked like she was in pain.

I flitted behind her and leaned into her, my chest to her back. She tensed and the energy went haywire. Was it coming from her?

I took her hands and placed it on the counter with my hands on top.

I opened my mouth with the intention of apologizing for bringing up her late close friend.

I felt a pain in my chest and for some reason, I knew it was her pain. I mentally embraced the energy around me and I could feel her thoughts. Not the words, but the feeling and reason behind it. She was upset that she hurt me. She lashed out at me in a reaction to a vampire speaking her best friends name and she was ashamed of herself. She's never apologized before to anyone besides Winnie and wasn't sure how.

"I'm not apologizing," she said in a strangled whisper.

"You don't have to," I murmured and nuzzled her neck.

"I won't do it," she said.

I dusted her cheek with feather light kisses as she hung her head in shame.

"...sorry," she muttered, quietly and immediately hunched her shoulders as if waiting for a lightning strike.

I enfolded her in my arms and gave her a squeeze.

She muttered some more apologies and I knew it wasn't for just the attack on me.