Chapter 18

Calico's P.O.V.

The world spun and I couldn't breathe through the scorching pain in my stomach. It felt as if white, hot metal claws were digging into my chest and belly. It was the most painfullest thing I've ever felt in my life.

This is what happens if I don't finish the soul bonding? Well, now finishing it doesn't seem so bad. Then, I thought of Winnie. Finishing the bond to a vampire...would be a betrayal to her. I could never do that. I'll take on any pain as long as it meant I didn't have to betray her.

I looked around through the blurry tears and realized I had teleported myself to Winnie's grave. I screamed out at the clenching of my lungs. It was like I was breathing in ashes from  a raging fire.

Something cool touched my cheek and I flinched away from the touch.

"Cali, look at me," a familiar, soft voice said.

I froze in shock and slowly looked up. She looked the same as the last time I saw her alive, even though she was slightly transparent.

"Winnie?" I whispered.

She smiled, sadly, at me, "I'm so sorry, Cali. So sorry. All those times I said horrible things about vampires, I didn't realize I was hurting you. For that I am sorry."

I shook my head and spoke through clenched teeth, "No, you have nothing to be sorry for. You were human and scared. It was only natural to have a psychological distrust of the ones who kidnapped you and did those horrible things."

She shook her head, "I was wrong. I had a lot of time to think after I died and learned the secrets of the world. Learned your secrets."

I waited in pain-filled silence.

"It was as you said. I shouldn't have judged vampires as I did, because humans can and have done the same things in their own time. Now, look at you, because of my prejudice you are killing your own. You hate yourself for being half of the two worlds."

There was nothing I could say.

"Calico. You don't need to push him away. You don't need to push Bones away. He will be good to you. I've seen it. You no longer need to hate vampires or humans. As you had once said, 'they are the same, just physically, and dietary different'.  Go back and finish the soul bonding. You guys will be happy together."

She pulled away from me and I reached out to try and grab her. I wanted to weep as my hand went right through her.

She gave me a faint smile before disappearing back to the other side. For a moment, just for a moment, I considered reaching out to that other dimension, where the dead reside, and snatching her soul back to trap it in this realm. Trapping her soul right here beside me so that she can never leave me again.

It was a fleeting thought and just that, a thought. I couldn't possibly trap her in a place she'll never be in peace at. 

The pain had stopped. It stopped because the fates knew my intentions had changed.

Just as the soft golden glow enfolded me for teleportation a sudden realization struck me.