Chapter 1

"Sierra, wake up!"

Groaning, the sixteen-year-old slightly opened her eyes, only to shut them again as her mom turned on the light.  "I'm too tired to get up."

"Sierra, you have to get up."  Macy was hastily putting clothes into a backpack, not sparing her daughter a look.

"Mom, what are you doing?"  The expression on Macy's face scared her instantly awake.  "What's going on?"

"You have to get out of here. The pack is under attack.  Dad, Arthur, and Tina are helping to fight, and as soon as you get away, I'm going to find them."  She finally stopped and gazed at her only daughter.

"I can fight too!  Dad's been training me for years now."  Sierra quickly braided her long reddish brown hair and put her clothes on.

"No, sweetheart, I need you to take the children to safety."  Macy grabbed a pouch and stuffed it in the bag before rushing out into her granddaughters room.  She threw some of Angie's clothes in.  "It's not looking good for us, Alpha instructed me to have you take his daughter, Beta Ron's, and Delta Frank's boys to safety."

Sierra shakily replied, "Mom, you're scaring me."

Macy turned to her daughter, placing her hands on Sierra's cheeks.  "I want to tell you everything will be fine, but I'd be lying.  I'm not sure what happened or who's attacking us, but it's clear our pack is outnumbered.  It's not a matter of if, but when we fail.  And how many lives will be lost.  The older boys are already helping to fight. As the Gamma's daughter, it is your responsibility to keep the younger children safe.  They, and you, are the future of our pack."

Both she-wolves were hit with the pain of a pack member dying, Sierra whimpering out loud while Macy finished getting the children rounded up.  The group rushed down to the basement, where Macy opened a secret passageway.

"Get to the end, then run to the last shelter in the territory.  Alpha has engaged the enemy to the south, giving you the opportunity to find it.  Stay there until you get the all-clear signal, code word sunshine."

Sierra had tears falling freely as she wondered when she would see her mother again.  Macy cried as she hugged her daughter, knowing the chances of her own survival were slim.

"You must stay strong, I know you can do this.  I love you so much, as does your father and brother.  Keep Angie and the others safe."  One last kiss on the cheek for both girls, and Macy pushed Sierra through the doorway.  Angie was secured to her chest and the bag on her back.

"Hurry up, guys, we need to get out of here!"  Sierra said to Henry and Peter, the Beta's nine-year-old twins.

"I want to go home, I'm tired," Beth whined again.  At twelve, she has her wolf but won't shift for a few more months.

"I know, but right now, it's not safe.  We've got to get to the bunker."

"Are we almost there?  I don't like being in here."  Craig, the Delta's seven-year-old, said.

"Do you know where we're going?"  Noah, his older brother asked.

"Yes, I know how to get there.  We're near the tunnel exit, and then we have to run the last bit to the bunker.  Hold hands and stay quiet."

The small group reached the stairs leading up to the surface a few minutes later.  Sierra took Craig's hand and gestured for him to grab Noah.  Her other hand gripped tight onto Peter, who attached himself to Henry and Beth.

"Stay silent now and keep up with me.  The entrance is hidden in the bushes."  Taking a deep breath, she nodded to Beth, who opened the trap door.

I don't hear or smell anyone.  Star, Sierra's wolf said to her.