Chapter 22

She hasn't said anything in twenty minutes.

I told you telling her our darkest parts would be bad. Maybe she won't want to be with us anymore. I wouldn't blame her. Her whole pack was murdered and now she found out the rumors about us are true.

Say something!

No, let her process.

Sierra didn't know what to think. She tried talking to Star, but nothing happened. His side of the story wasn't surprising to her. He'd already admitted a while ago that he killed his brother.

"If you don't want to stay with us, I understand."

Not helping!

"What?" She turned startled eyes to his.

"I won't be mad if it's too much for you. If you want to break up," he began, and she interrupted.

"No! I'm not leaving you. Unless you don't want me."  Her voice choked on the last part.

"Sweetheart, I think I've made it very clear that I want you. What's going through your mind?"

"Certainly not pushing you away. Goddess, Zane, don't you have any faith in me?"

"I trust you with my life. I just thought maybe knowing that I'm a murderer," she stopped him again.

"You are not a murderer! Did you attack Warren without provocation?"

"No."

"Did you want to kill him?"

"Fuck no! I've regretted that every day since."

Placing her hands on his face, she looked him in the eyes as she spoke to him. "You were sixteen years old.  Your father ignored you, and your brother goaded you into attacking.  We may have a human side, but we are also animals.  Backed into a corner, our instincts are to fight back.  You were defending yourself.  I'm not upset about that."

"Then what's bothering you?" He frowned at her.

"Are you kidding?  I'm pissed at how your parents treated you! If your father had been a real wolf, you wouldn't have needed to fight.  You've lived with guilt and regret most of your life."  She looked away for a moment before gazing back into his blue eyes.

"I wish Ben had been like you.  I rarely saw him train with the others.  My father did some training with me, but it was just us.  Not everyone knew how to fight.  If Ben had been more like you, maybe he wouldn't have died.  Maybe none of them would've died. You fought and saved yourself and the pack."  Tears dripped on her cheeks, and he wiped them with his thumb.  "We can't change the past, Zane.  We have to learn to live with it. At least, I'm trying to.  But never, ever think it was your fault.  You had two choices, kill or be killed.  It's not your fault. For what it's worth, I forgive you."

Listening to her words, something broke inside him. Crushing her to his chest, he buried his face in her neck and sobbed.  They cried together, and a new emotion flowed through him.  Acceptance. During all the years he spent with Tracy, she never accepted his version of the story.  She always suspected he had coveted the Alpha title.

His precious broken Sierra not only believed him, she forgave him and removed the blame from him.  They clung to each other, giving and taking comfort.  His eyes were red and full of tears when he lifted his head.

"I have never cried like that in front of anyone.  I have to show the world a strong Alpha, not a sniveling weak one." Placing a finger on her lips to stop her from saying anything. "I can be vulnerable with you." He searched her eyes, which were now the color of the sunset.  "You've given me a priceless gift, my love.  No one has approved of my actions that day, besides you."