Chapter 5

I don't even understand how it's possible in the first place. Mates are paired at birth, this we know. When Sierra was born, Tracy was still alive.  Werewolves don't have more than one mate.  If we reject our mate or they die, we can choose another. Does this mean Sierra was always meant for us? Or did her actual fated mate die, too?

Only the Moon Goddess knows. Another thing, I don't think we should tell anyone.

Not even Steve? Why not?

What if even telling someone that she's our mate breaks the bond?

I know if one wolf is older, he or she can't tell the other until both are at least eighteen. If they do, it breaks the bond as if you rejected your mate. I've not heard that it works the same if you tell someone else.

Do you want to risk rejecting her?

Fuck no! I might not understand how this happened, but I want her.  I need her.  I love her and I've only known her a day.

I love and need her just as much as you do.  We agree that no one can know until her eighteenth birthday.

Damn this is going to be a long wait.  Fuck.  At least no one would expect us to be mates.  We're twenty-five years older than her.  What if she doesn't want us?

Don't even joke about that.  We'll have to figure out a way to  keep her with us.

Zane pulled into his driveway, gently shaking Sierra awake.  "We're home.  Go on in, I'll get Angie then come back for all the stuff."  She nodded, a hollow look in her eyes.

Hours later, Angie was tucked into the crib, and Sierra was arranging blankets on the floor.  "What are you doing?"

"Getting ready for bed."

"The bed is that way."  He pointed towards his room.  He knew she had already been in there.

"That's your room.  I'll be fine here.  Compared to where I've been sleeping recently, it's a five star hotel."

I want her next to us.  Xavier whined.

We can't force her, she'll eventually come to us.

"If you're sure.  I don't mind sharing.  You can always join me later."  He kissed her forehead, "goodnight."

Sierra fell asleep quickly, but soon the nightmares started up.  Unknown to her, she cried out, waking Zane from his less than stellar rest.  He picked her up and carried her back to bed.  She settled against his chest, Xavier let out a contented noise and they both enjoyed their slumber.

Sierra woke up feeling warm and fuzzy.  "Good morning."  Whipping her head in the direction of the voice, she came nose to nose with the handsome Alpha.

"How did I get here?"

"You were having bad dreams."  He tucked a wayward strand of hair behind her ear.  "Don't be mad, but I've already arranged for Angie to be taken to the daycare.  You were finally sleeping peacefully, I couldn't wake you.  I got back in bed with you after they left."

"You have no right to do that."  She started getting up, he grabbed her arm to keep her in place.

"Actually, I have every right as the Alpha.  She's fine, and she'll only be there a couple of hours.  We need to talk without interruptions.  Come here," he pleaded the last bit.

Reluctantly, she let him pull her into his embrace.  Her feelings confused her.  He was older than her father, yet she didn't feel anything similar to how she normally feels for a family member.  He should be like an uncle, yet definitely not.  She didn't understand why she was comfortable with him.  She just was.