Chapter 11

Sierra sighed again.  "Are you done yet?"

"Nope, a few more curls and then maybe.  What do you think, little one?"  Megan twisted Sierra's long hair around curlers, securing them with long clips.  She bopped Angie on the nose with the brush, tickling her face.

"You've been dragging me everywhere today yet haven't told me why.  I know it has something to do with Zane, but I haven't seen him all day."

Megan scrunched her eye, not giving any detail away.  "All you have to do is sit and let me work my magic."

After finishing her hair, Megan moved on to putting makeup on her.  "I know how to use foundation."

"Perhaps, but it's best to leave these things to the professionals.  We could've stayed at the mall longer and let a salon do you up."

"No, we were there long enough."  Memories of spending hours hanging out with her friends flooded her mind.  She kept most of the sorrow at bay, but now it came crashing down on her.  Overwhelmed, tears fell, and her shoulders shook.

"What's the matter?"  Megan hugged Sierra as she sobbed.

What's wrong, sweetheart?  Zane's panicked voice linked Sierra.

I need you.

I'll be right there.

I'm coming up.  He linked to Megan.

You'll ruin the surprise.

It won't be much of a surprise if she's upset.

I didn't do anything, she suddenly started crying.

It's not you.  Open the door.

It's not locked, silly.

Zane hurried to Sierra's side, taking her from Megan.  "It's ok, sweetheart, I'm here.  I got you."

Looking into his eyes, the depth of her grief hit him like a ton of bricks.  Her eyes were almost brown, despair filling them.  She wrapped her arms around him. "I got it from here, thanks, Megs."

Megan nodded and left them alone.  I wonder what that was about.

"Hey babe, have you seen Zane?  We were playing Call of Duty, and he jumped up and left."

"He's in there with Sierra."

"What happened?  Did you burn her with your curlers?"

She lightly slapped his shoulder before he could run away.  "I have no idea.  One minute, she was fine. The next, she was bawling her eyes out.  What do your tingly Alpha senses say?"

"She's hurting.  That's all I can get from her.  Pain, sorrow, and guilt.  A lot of dark emotions for a wolf her age.  Did she tell you anything?"

"Nothing significant.  I haven't gotten anything from Zane either.  I sense her wolf, but I haven't been able to talk to her."

"Zane did give one hint.  He said imagine the worst thing possible, and it wouldn't come close to what she's going through."

"Damn."  She looked back at the closed door.  "It sounds like they've found someone who understands.  Zane has suffered silently for years before Tracy died.  I know their relationship is odd."

"Relationship?  He's her Alpha."

Megan looked at him as if he grew two heads.  "You really are dense sometimes.  He's in love with her."