Chapter 14

"Do we have to leave tomorrow?"  Sierra pouted at Zane.  "I like having you all to myself."

"You'll see me every day, and we'll have every night together."  He wrapped his arms around her lower back, nestling her against his chest.

"It won't be the same.  You'll be busy doing Alpha stuff, and I'll be doing nothing."

"That's not quite true.  I have a surprise for you.  I hope you won't be mad."  Reluctantly letting her go, he picked up an envelope on the counter.  "Take a look."

Trembling, she took out the papers.  "Is this?" She trailed off.

"A fake birth certificate, yes."

I told you to ask her before having those made.

It needed to be done, with or without her permission.

Sierra read the details on the document, which appeared official.  "You changed my name to Jane Ciara Wilder. Ciara with a 'C'."  She peeked at him, "you gave me your last name."

"It has a rich history," he smirked.

She might as well get used to it. She's a Wilder now.

"Hold on, my birthday is different.  Two and a half years older?  No one is going to believe this.  Wait, why did you get this?"

"Until I find out who attacked your pack, no one can know who you really are."  He leaned down from behind her, hands on her hips.

"I already explained that no one knew.  How are you going to figure it out?"

"I'm working on it.  I never claimed it would be quick."

"What if you never discover who was behind the attack? Will I have to hide forever?"

"Sweetheart, I don't have all the answers.  We can figure that out down the road."

"But two years older?  What if no one believes it?"

"I'm sure you can pass for eighteen.  Besides, if we want others to accept Angie as your daughter, you need to be a little older.  Megan pointed out how absurd it was to pass off a two-year-old as the pup of a sixteen-year-old.  She's known from the start that Angie isn't your daughter."

"She has?"  Surprise edged with uncertainty in her voice.

"She doesn't know who you are or who Angie is.  She had a point, though.  Not many wolves will be convinced a fourteen-year-old had a pup."

Searching through several papers, she found Angie's new birth certificate.  "You changed her birthday, and you're listed as her father."  That must mean he sees a future with them.

"Sweetheart, whoever attacked you had access to every document the Alpha kept on hand.  It's possible they know you escaped, and they could know others went with you.  I did this to protect you both.  I will do whatever I deem necessary to keep you safe."

Stepping away from him, she struggled to come to terms with this new development. "You want me to forget my family?"

"Of course not!  Sweetheart," he touched her shoulders, and she shrugged him off.  "I don't want you to get hurt."

I think you did that on your own.

Not helping.

"Sierra, I love you.  If anyone suspected where you came from, it would put you in danger.  I can't lose you.  I won't."

She knew his actions were logical, but it felt like a betrayal to discard her roots.  Tears formed, and this time, she let him embrace her.  Closing her eyes as drops fell down her cheeks, she turned towards him.