Chapter 32

Fighting to keep control of Xavier, Zane was slow to react.  "Was it you?"  He managed to grind out.

"No."  He paused for a moment.

Zane gripped his father by the neck, throwing him against the wall within moments.  "Who was responsible?"

Forcing himself to stay calm, Gerard didn't fight back.  "Ryan Knight, Alpha of Crescent Moon."

"You lie.  He's dead.  He challenged Athena, Alpha of Starlight, to the death for the right to rule both packs and lost."  He sneered, showing his teeth and his claws dug into the soft flesh.

"I'm not lying.  He told me himself.  He was boasting about it, saying if he couldn't kill his daughter, then wiping out those responsible was a close second.  What Alpha Athena did by starting her own pack with his she-wolves humiliated him.  He couldn't attack Starlight without risking war with the packs who supported her.  His burning desire for revenge opened my eyes to see I did the same thing with you.  Rage and stupidity consumed me, thinking I knew better than the Moon Goddess, just like it ate at Ryan."

"He killed an entire pack because of misplaced revenge?  How?"  Zane roared.

"He recruited dozens of rogues, then arranged for bloodthirsty wolves from other packs to help.  Promised them the loot from the houses.  All the cars were taken to a junk yard where the questionable owner crushed them.  He stole everything he could from Blood Moon before he burnt it to the ground.  He made certain that no evidence could point to him."

"If he didn't want anyone to know, then why did he tell you?"

"He was bragging!  He thought I would be jealous because I was like him.  Cold, calculating, and wanting vengeance for the death of Warren.  I blamed the change just as much as I blamed you.  We both thought the Moon Goddess was wrong.  Until he reveled in the story of murdering innocent pups.  What you did to Warren was justified.  It was self-defense, brought on by me, and my foolish thinking.  Ryan was proud of what he did, and it made me sick.  It made me understand why the Moon Goddess made the change.  It was to stop unnecessary killing from happening.  It's honorable to defeat your enemy during battle.  Lining up elderly and pups, forcing their loved ones to watch the life being taken was an act of cowardice.  To see the alpha in agony over the broken bonds thrilled him.  It was at that moment when I decided to let go of my anger.  I didn't want to be him anymore."

Growling, Zane tossed his father to the ground, breaking a table in the process.  Turning, he barely made it out of the house before Xavier took over and shifted.  He ran into the woods, overcome with anger.

Zane, are you alright?  Sierra mind-linked him a few hours later.  I haven't seen you all day.  Where are you?

The gentle, soothing voice of his mate calmed him more than anything else.  He heard the anxiety in her words and started running back to the house.

I'm on my way home.  I'm sorry I worried you.

Where have you been?

I'll talk to you when I get back.  He cut the link, not wanting to slip and tell her what happened.  He wanted to be with her when he revealed what he knew.

As soon as he entered the house, he was wrapped in loving arms.  Burying his nose in her neck, he took deep breaths to settle his emotions.  It was several minutes before he was composed enough to speak.  Taking her hand, he led her to the sofa to sit down.  Still holding her, he rubbed his thumb in circles on her skin.

"Zane, what's wrong?"  She was nervous about what was going on.

Did he meet someone?  Does he want to leave us?