Chapter 20

Alpha, you have visitors at the border.  Stuart, one of the warriors, mind-linked Zane.

Who is it?

Your mother, Lilly, and her mate, Andrew.

Fuck.

I tried getting you to tell Sierra about her.  But noooo, you stalled.  Now, what are you going to do?  Mom's going to want to meet her.  One question is all it will take to undermind her trust.

Not helping!

Of course, let them in.  Take them to the new house and tell them I'll meet them there.

Yes, Alpha.

The house isn't ready.

It's ready enough.

For what?

To stall for time.

Ah, I get it.  Don't fuck this up.

Zane hurried out to his truck, getting there just as the group was pulling into the four car driveway.

"Mother!  What a pleasant, unexpected surprise."  He hugged her and kissed her cheek.

"Well, Brittany called me the other day saying I had to come see what you were up to.  She wouldn't give me any details."

Ignoring the unspoken question, Zane moved to his daughter.  Wrapping her into a wolf hug, he lifted her off the ground and kissed her forehead.  "It's wonderful to see you.  I've missed you."  Turning to Andrew, he thrust out his hand.  "I'm glad to have you at Night Wind."

"Daddy, put me down."  Lilly slapped his arm playfully.  "What are we doing here?  I don't remember this house being here before."

"It's a mating present for you and Andrew."

Eyes wide, she squealed while jumping up and down.  "You built us a house!  Oh my Goddess, Dad, that's so awesome.  It's a Victorian, just like I've wanted!"  She kissed his cheek then grabbed Andrew's hand to pull him up the steps onto the wrap around porch.

"There's a few final touches left."  Zane said as they stepped into the foyer of the two story home.  "As you can see, all the walls are white, inside and out, and there's no furniture.  I thought you'd prefer to go shopping for everything yourselves.  Cole is my electronics wolf.  He's almost done setting up the security system.  You'll both have to get with him set up the biometrics."

Lilly ran a hand over the quartz countertop of the kitchen island.  Top of the line stainless steel appliances complemented the grey lines in the surface.  "This is amazing!  When did you do this?"

"The day you found each other, I had the guys start working on it."

"Thank you, Alpha."

"Andrew,"  Zane interrupted on a sigh.  "Call me Dad, or Zane.  I've told you before."

"Sorry, old habits are hard to break."

"You mean you called your father Alpha?"

That's just weird.

Yeah.

"In the presence of others, yes."

"Well, I'm not a stick in the mud.  You're my daughter's mate, her other half.  I hope you can be comfortable around me enough to refrain from calling me Alpha all the time."

"Yes, Al, I mean Zane.  You're nothing like the rumors make you out to be.  I will admit it scared the shit out of me when I discovered you were Lilly's father."