Chapter 26

"I have an announcement."  Zane said when dinner was almost finished.  He looked over at his daughter, Brittany,  then at his mate, Sierra.  "The day after graduation, we are leaving for Dark Moon.  Charlie finally found his mate, and we were invited for his Alpha ceremony."

Brittany clapped her hands.  "Oh my Goddess, that's great!  I haven't seen Aunt Megan and Uncle Scott in ages!  Will Brook be there?  She's got to be since she's his sister!  Maybe my mate is in Dark!  Wouldn't that be awesome?  How many pups does she have now?  When did Charlie find her?  What pack was she in?  I hope she's good to him."

"Take a breath, Brit."  Zane laughed at her fast talking.  "I'm sure Brook will be there, she's got two pups, Charlie found his mate a couple of months ago, and she's from Eclipse Moon.  She's younger than him, that's part of the reason they delayed the ceremony.  At first, Scott was going to do it this week, but I convinced him it would be more convenient after school gets out."

"Will there be a lot of Alphas going?"  Sierra nervously asked.

"Yes, usually the Alpha and either Beta or Delta go, with their mates.  It's a chance to forge friendships between packs or solidify them.  I'm not sure exactly what their planning exactly for his ceremony."

Sierra twisted her fingers together.  "I love your sister, but maybe I should stay here."

"You met Aunt Megan?"

"You're not staying home."  Brittany and Zane said at the same time.

"Yes, I met her last summer."

"Why would you want to stay here?"  This time, Sierra and Brittany talked over each other.

"Brittany, I love how your attitude has changed over the last few months.  Having dinner with us at least twice a week has been great.  I think this is a private conversation between Sierra and me, though.  You're excused."

Surprised and confused, she got up.  "Would you like me to take Angie back to my room for a bit?  I can bring her back later."

"Thank you for offering.  I'll come pick her up.  You both have school tomorrow."

"Ok."  She kissed Zane on the cheek, then picked up Angie, who held her arms out.  "Come on, sweet pea.  You need a bath."

"Beethy!"  Angie giggled, still not able to say her name right.

After the door closed, Zane focused on Sierra.  "What's bothering you, sweetheart?"

"I'm afraid I'll be recognized."

Frowning, Zane replied.  "I thought you didn't know any Alphas.  You weren't scared to be at Brittany's birthday party."

"I don't personally know many Alphas, but I look a lot like my mother.  The party was mostly for unmated wolves.  Anyone who knew my parents wasn't there."

Sighing, he stood up and motioned for her to follow him.  Sitting on the couch, he pulled her onto his lap.  "I can't leave you here."

"Why not?"

"I'd be worried about you."  He brushed her hair behind her ear.  "You won't have to mingle with everyone.  We'll get there before anyone else, and when guests arrive, we don't need to greet them.  We can stay inside for most of it.  If I didn't think it was safe, we wouldn't go."

"Have you gotten any leads on who attacked?"  Tears brimming her eyes, she tried to hold them back.

"No, which is another reason I want to go.  I want to talk to Scott for his opinion.  I feel like I'm running in circles."  Wrapping his arms around her, he let her cry.