Chapter 4

Zane stood up, staring at the slightly trembling young she-wolf.  She held his gaze, her piercing eyes a dark brownish red.  Back straight, she couldn't be much taller than five feet he mused.

You're scaring her!

Oh, yeah, we might be.  Is this real?

As far as I can tell.

How is this possible?

I have no idea.  I've heard all the same stories as you.  Stop talking to me and talk to her!

Slowly, as if approaching a skittish deer, Zane walked around his desk to stand a few feet away from her.  "I'm not going to hurt you."  He said softly.

"Why should I trust you, Alpha?"  She emphasized the last word, sending tingles along his skin before cringing at the formal title.

"Zane, my name is Zane.  Please sit down."

Please?  Did you just say, please??

I'm trying to calm her down, idiot.  You can hear her heartbeat, same as IShe's terrified.  Not that I blame her, we do have a bad ass reputation.

Not helping.

He pointed out the couch, blocking the chair.  "I swear upon the Moon Goddess herself I won't hurt you.  Nor will I let anyone else hurt you.  You can trust me."

"You have a strange way of earning trust.  Your Beta interrogated me for two hours yesterday."

"I'm sorry about that, he won't be coming near you again."  I'll hurt him if he does.

Shush.

Betty, don't bother finding somewhere else for Sierra.  She'll stay with me.

Are you sure?  I didn't think you'd be back yet.

Don't question my orders.

He focused on Sierra, taking her small hand in his.  "You don't need to be afraid anymore.  You're not alone."  He searched the depth of her eyes, watching the emotions war inside.  "You're safe, here, with me."  He rubbed his thumb across the top of her hand while his finger rubbed the palm.

Tears welled up, the gravity of her grief filling her eyes.  "Oh sweetheart, you've been so brave."  He whispered the words without thinking.

Sobs began shaking her body, and he pulled her onto his lap.  Her sorrow pulled at his heart.  Knowing words were empty, he held her tight, caressing her hair while slightly rocking.  He would give her all the time she needed to let it out.

Sierra didn't understand what was happening.  When she entered the office, the three males intimidated her.  She already knew two of them, and she was drawn to the one she didn't.  Her intention was to stay strong, but when Zane told her she was safe, a dam broke inside her.

Without knowing him, she trusted him.  His arms wrapped around her, and she felt herself relax for the first time since she left her home.  Eventually, her crying stopped. She thought she would be embarrassed. Instead, she felt comfort.

She's asleep.

I know.

What do you think happened to her?

How should I know?

What does her wolf have to say?

Nothing.