Chapter 23

"Sit down."  Zane commanded his mother.

Taking her time to get comfortable,  she finally looked at him.  "If you expect an apology, you'll be disappointed."

"Never fear, mother," putting a slight sarcastic tone on the last word, "That's the last thing I'd ever expect from you."  Tightly controlling his anger, he repeated in his head 'remember the girls'.

"Well, I'm glad we got that out of the way.  Did you want to discuss how the shopping trip went?"

"No.  I am going to be very clear.  Say another demeaning word to Sierra, and I will banish you again.  Say anything derogatory about Sierra, and you'll be removed from the pack."

"What did I say?  Only the truth.  I know you, son.  If you actually wanted her to be your Luna, you would've done it already.  If you wanted to have her as your mate, you would've marked her.  Since you've done neither of those things, it's clear to me that you realize she's not worthy.  Now, as to who is worthy, you should make Lily your Luna.  She would be wonderful at it.  Then you'd guarantee her and Andrew staying."

Seeing red at the way she spoke about Sierra, he almost missed her comment about Lily.  Clutching his fists, he focused on keeping control.

She does have a point.  If Sierra was over eighteen, we would've marked her, and she'd officially be our Luna.

That doesn't give her rights to insult Sierra.

No.

"Lily will not be Luna."

"Why not?  It makes perfect sense.  She's not a ranked wolf in Silver Moon.  She's been trained for this."

"By whom?  If Andrew wasn't born to rank, neither was she."

"Pish posh, I trained her.  Always knew my Lily would be a Luna."

"I never asked you to train her.  Why would I want you to do that?"

"I am the Luna of this pack."

Standing up, he's had enough.  "You are NOT the Luna of my pack!  You haven't been one officially since the day I took Alpha over twenty years ago.  Before that, you were a pitiful excuse for a Luna and a mother.  The only reason you're allowed here is because my daughters love you.  I have no idea why, but they do.  Out of respect for them, I'm allowing you to stay.  If I hear you've said anything about the love of my life, I will not hesitate to make you a rogue.  Do not spread rumors about Lily being Luna because she will never be.  Do you understand?"

Towering over her and letting some of his Alpha power out, she was unable to form a comeback.  "Yes, Alpha."  Stressing Alpha, she was glad to see she got under his skin.

"Good, now get out."  He growled at her.

Slowly rising, she walked backward towards the door.  Bowing her head dramatically, she said, "Whatever you wish, Alpha."  Then she left.

We can still send her to a cell for a few hours.  Or days.

Not helping.

I guess it would upset the girls.

Brittany is beginning to warm up to Sierra, or at least being civil.

Fine, we won't punish her yet.

Let's see what her next move is.

Fuming, Karen stalked away.  Wolves bent their heads at her out of respect but scattered out of her way when they saw her face.  She was in no mood for chit-chat.  She had no doubt Zane would follow through on his threats.  He was no longer that little boy who wanted her approval.  Nor was he drowning in grief anymore.  That little bitch did something to him.  There was more going on here, but in order to find out, she would have to tread very carefully.  She didn't care if he asked her to leave.  She was terrified of becoming rogue, though.  She would die if that happened.