Expansion, A Rare Accident

Japan will be exploring the continent in earnest. That's all for this month. Please wait for the next month.

- Kazuhiro Kasami

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

February 15, 2019

Eastern Coast, Japanese Central America

Japan has declared its possession of the central part (the United States of America in the old world) of the unexplored American Continent to the rest of the country. This was because Japan was able to establish friendly relations with almost all of the settlements in the central part of the continent, having made contact with almost all of them from east to west and north to south, in just over a month after the first contact. From now on, Japan intends to approach the South (South America) and the North (Canada, Alaska, Greenland, etc.) in turn, in stages.

Of course, there were demonstrations in Japan by some leftists and others who opposed the claim to the continent, but they were told that they could maintain their "current" way of life if they acquired the continent, and that claiming and developing and unsettled and undeveloped continent did not amount to an act of aggression. The opposition was unable to say anything.

First, the Self-Defense Forces began to take the lead in developing the continent by constructing deeper harbors and developing port facilities in areas that would be suitable for living organisms and other habitats. Private port developers were taking over this work and were supposed to push forward with the development at a dash. However, unlike the old world, it was anticipated that there would be predators in the sea that exceeded 10 meters in length, so the SDF's destroyers are always accompanying them. Cargo carriers and large passenger ships that are not in use because they cannot travel overseas are all commandeered by the government as a state of emergency and used to transport personnel and supplies.

Fortunately, there was a perfect site for building a port city on the coast near the Hagan settlement where the first contact was successfully made, so they were already pushing ahead with development immediately after the contact. As a result, about a month later, the city was equipped with enough facilities to enable a minimum of unloading and personnel boarding and disembarking, even though it was still in the process of development. This alone made a world of difference compared to the previous method of transporting supplies using landing craft and transport vessels.

In addition, since a number of heliports and a simple supply depot were given top priority in the port city, helicopters could now be used to investigate conditions in the vicinity. After receiving information from residents of nearby villages, the SDF first set out to search for energy resources, which were of the utmost importance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

February 17, 2019

30 km inland of the east coast of Japanese Central America

Here, a resource search by three JGSDF High-Mobility Vehicles, one Type 96 armored personnel carrier, and one Type 89 armored combat vehicle was on the march. Captain Kanaya, who was riding in an HMV as a commander, heard a story from a nearby villager.

"Daley-san, are you sure it's near here?"

Sitting next to him was Daley, a slender woman with rabbit-like ears who lived in a nearby settlement.

"Y-yes. No doubt about it. I thought I'd thrown a stone and killed the bird... so I went there, at the bottom of the cliff, just down the road, I found it."

"Alright." "All hands, beware of the steep slope. There's a good chance that's where we're going to find what we're looking for."

"Roger."