Analysis Results

This is the second chapter this month.

Actually, my computer was malfunctioning and couldn't open Word, Outlook, etc. until just a few minutes ago, but I happened to update my security software and now I can open them... Thank goodness...

- Kazuhiro Kasami

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

September 12, 2030

Japan, Tokyo, Acquisition, Technology & Logistics Agency

Despite the fact that the last nearly six months have been busier than ever at this place, which researches technologies useful for Japan's defense, all the staff members were in high spirits. This is because they were having too much fun analyzing the powered suits and blueprints of future weapons that they brought back from Australia.

Even now, some of the staff members were having lunch and conversing with each other over the power suits on their tablets.

"Wow! It's impossible to make something exactly like this powered suit in our country today! No, we might be able to do it if only in form, but in that case, the weight would be much heavier! At the very least, it would weigh 20 tons... or worse, well over 25 tons!"

After taking it home and weighing it, they found that it weighed about 10,2 tons, though it was the only main body of the powered suit.

"Yeah. The same goes for the armament. The arm is equipped with a short-barreled machine gun, around 35 to 40 millimeters in diameter. If you were to fire such a thing at a being that is about twice the size of a human being, the recoil would be tremendous."

Naturally, the larger the caliber of a gun or cannon, the more tremendous the recoil will be. A famous story about the Yamato-class battleship is that its guns were so powerful that if a person were on deck, the blast from the cannon's mouth when the main gun fired would be enough to kill them.

Of course, the burden and recoil on the firing mechanism would be extraordinary if such a weapon were to be fired. A 35mm-40mm gun is the same size as the autocannons of Japanese patrol vessels, the main guns of armored combat vehicles, and the main guns of frigates and patrol vessels in many countries. It is believed that human flesh cannot withstand even the recoil of a 12,7 mm heavy machine gun. Even a 12,7 mm has to be either mounted on a vehicle, on a ship, or on a tripod while the crew lying on their stomach when used.

As a side note, it is known that races in this world, such as dwarves and orcs, who have much more muscle mass than normal humans, can lift themselves up while shooting Brownings, so it is not impossible, depending on the race.

The degree of technology incorporated into these powered suits is unknown, but the fact that they can handle an object that could be as powerful as or more powerful than weapons normally used on vehicles or ships suggested how advanced technology is being used.

"Ammo is also an issue. The larger the caliber, the fewer rounds it can carry. It would be absurd to put so many rounds in that powered suit, which is about two times larger than a human being, even if it were a ship with a certain amount of space, like a patrol vessel."

In Japan, the Yamato-class destroyer, a full-fledged combat ship, is equipped with four Bofors 40 mm single-barrel autocannon, which is capable of firing a total of more than 10.000 rounds. This capacity is also made possible by the hull's enormous size (about 260 meters).

"At the very least, it is impossible to fire full-auto with existing shells. Unless you are going to shoot them one by one, like a bolt-action rifle, they won't last long."