Specialists Are Those Who Are Forced to Do Things Even If They Are Short-Staffed

This is the second chapter this month.

From here, Japan will be pushing itself to get to Australia while pushing itself too hard.

Stay tuned to see what happens...

- Kazuhiro Kasami

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

May 12, 2029

500 km east of Australia (equivalent), JMSDF Amphibious Assault Ship Edo

Japan had been developing this world's Americas from the coast for more than a decade, and over the past decade, it had finally begun to extend its pioneering reach to the western coastal areas of the continent. It was also prosperity brought about by the cooperation of people in both the public and private sectors and by considerable overwork. However, the need to gather information on the 'ancient humans' that had just been discovered arose, and thus a survey team was formed, allocating a portion of the Self-Defense Forces and scholars to the task.

First, personnel was sent to investigate islands in the western part of the Americas (such as this world's equivalent of Easter Island). Unfortunately, as a result of the survey, including small islands, traces of humans remained on the islands, but they were basically traces of a primitive way of life. The living organisms were very similar to those of the old world, including small reptiles and birds, creating an ecosystem similar to that of the Galapagos.

In other words, it turned out that the island did not get occupied by the ancient humans, which boasted the super-civilization that Japan was seeking, and so it gradually headed westward while receiving supplies from there, and was now gradually approaching Australia.

Speaking of which, when entering the islands, mats soaked with disinfectant are laid at the entrances and exits of the Edo and the LCACs, and both people and vehicles are thoroughly disinfected.

If one asks why not the older Ōsumi-class, it is because the Azuchi-class amphibious assault ship has a higher aircraft operating capability than the Ōsumi, so it had the advantage of having the F-3B and helicopters available in case of emergency. Since it was determined that there would be few situations where fighter aircraft would be needed, the Edo is not equipped with F-3Bs, but instead has one Yanma anti-tank helicopter, two UH-2 multi-purpose helicopters, and two CH-47JA Chinooks for transport.

The UH-2 is designed as a multi-purpose helicopter, so it is equipped with stub wings (two pylons). This time, it can carry rocket pods and air-to-air missiles for self-defense, which are also mounted on the Yanma.

Landing equipment (excluding aircraft) includes:

- 5 × Light Armored Vehicle Kai

- 10 × High-Mobility Vehicles

- 2 × Type 16 maneuver combat vehicles

- 2 × Type 87 Reconnaissance Combat Vehicle

- 1 × Type 87 self-propelled anti-aircraft gun

- 500 JGSDF personnel

In particular, the presence of the Type 16 MCV, which has striking power and high mobility on par with second-generation MBTs, is significant. Even if they encounter an enemy using World War II-level armored vehicles, these vehicles would be able to handle most of the attacks. In addition, the fleet is also accompanied by the Azuchi, which mainly carries two LCACs filled with AAV-7s and 25 F-3Bs as an escort.

On board the fully-loaded ship, Staff Sergeant Muto, who belongs to Komakado Garrison of the Ground Self-Defense Force, was looking disheartened, perhaps because all of their previous investigations had ended in blanks.