Interlude: New Technology! ...But That Includes the Japanese

This chapter is an interlude. I did it because I don't even know if it will appear in the future.

- Kazuhiro Kasami

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

October 25, 2032

Ministry of Defense Testing Ground, Japanese North America

This is a weapons testing ground located in an undisclosed location in the Americas, owned by the Japanese government. It is officially recognized as the property of the Ministry of Defense and the ATLA, and its size dwarfs not only the Kanto region but the entire Japanese archipelago.

In other words, it is a place where they conduct experiments with weapons that have such long ranges. In fact, this location was used for experiments with the 46 cm rocket-guided shells, officially known as the "Type 24 Jet-Propelled Guided Shell," which are used as the main gun shell for the Yamato-class escort ships. Various other weapons have also been tested here. For example, the "Yudachi" cluster munition shells, newly adopted for the Type 99 self-propelled 155 mm howitzer and the Type 19 self-propelled 155 mm howitzer, as well as cruise missiles called "Takemikazuchi" and the latest gliding bomb "Tenzan."

A new weapon was about to be tested in this place.

In this wide testing ground, within a building that stands alone, there is a control room where many Self-Defense Force personnel are watching monitors with tense expressions. Not only members of the GSDF but also personnel from the MSDF, ASDF, and even those from the Joint Staff Office and Cabinet Secretariat are present.

"Initiating in 5 minutes, final check, all green."

"No abnormalities in any sections. No weapon malfunctions."

"Understood. Run the checks again."

"Roger."

People were watching the numerous monitors connected to "it," displayed on the other side of the monitor.

"Recheck complete. No abnormalities in any sections. All green."

"Roger. Launch in 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, now!"

Bzzt, WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH... CLANG!!

As the monitors showed a face resembling that of a "Hannya," the eyes of "it" lit up in blue, and its various parts began to move as if it were a human body.

"Raise your right hand and give a thumbs-up."

"Roger."

"It" raised its right arm somewhat awkwardly and slowly gave a thumbs-up. Upon seeing this, everyone burst into cheers.

"Whoa!"

"It's a success!!"

However, right after that, sparks began to fly from the joint part of its arm.

"Ah!"

"Emergency stop!! Emergency stop!!"

"Hurry!! Forced system shutdown!!"

The crew members quickly pressed the emergency stop button. In anime and novels, there's often a cliche where an evil plot prevents the "emergency stop button" from working, but there was no room for such interference here. It stopped properly, and its arm slowly drooped down.

"Ah, shit..."

"A crack has appeared in the joint part... It failed again."

"Even with all this cutting-edge technology, can't we complete the Shubs...?"