Chapter 7: Alleyway

ᡕᠵ᠊ᡃ່࡚ࠢ࠘ ⸝່ࠡࠣ᠊߯᠆ࠣ࠘ᡁࠣ࠘᠊᠊ࠢ࠘𐡏

"We're here."

Kaori closed the door behind Okkotsu and met her eyes with a dark alley where their mission was meant to take place.

"Hapina shopping center. It's now pretty much abandoned." Ijichi explained, reading off his notepad. "There are plans to demolish this entire area to build a large shopping mall. An inspection revealed a group of low-level curses. Grade 2 sorcerer Inumaki, your job is to exorcise those curses." He looked up, expecting to see Inumaki but was stunned to find an empty spot on the sidewalk. "What?! Where's sorcerer Inumaki?!"

A store clerk nearby spoke up, and a bell dinged. "Thanks for coming."

Kaori pointed a finger at the store, confused just as Okkotsu was to why he was shopping at this time. "What did ya buy?" the boy next to her asked.

Inumaki walked up to the group as he rustled through his bag. His hand emerged from the bag holding a small bottle. "Throat medicine?" Okkotsu asked again.

Ijichi continued his introduction when they were all standing by him again. "Buildings can become a nuisance later on because of their past history. Hence the request for a exorcism now."

"Salmon."

"I'll cast a curtain. Good luck."

With that, Ijichi lowered a dark veil over the alleyway that the students had stepped into, and Okkotsu immediately made sure he understood what they were meant to do with another question. "He said a group of low-level ones, right?"

"Spiced cod roe."

"Yep."

Just after they finished speaking, small fish-like curses floated past Okkotsu's ear, muttering to themselves, "no fair, no fair."

"There's so many..." Okkotsu complained.

Kaori spun around to follow the curses with her eyes, turning back to see Inumaki walking towards the grouping of curses.

Okkotsu became frantic as he shouted out, "Inumaki?!" Don't get too close!"

The sliver-haired boy stopped in front of the swarm and lowered his collar to reveal his mouth. He stared at the cluster of curses and used his speech, "explode."

Instantly, the curses burst into flame and his classmates gaped at his power. The grade 2 turned around swiftly, hoarsely saying, "tuna mayo."

Kaori's lips remained in an "o" shape as she comprehend what his power could truly do, but then frowned as she realized the backlash on his throat. However, in the back of her mind she knew that he had the medicine to cure it, so she also turned to exit the veil.

Once they all stood in front of the dark wall, Inumaki voiced again, "fish flakes!"

"We can't get out.." Kaori sighed, unaware of what was to come.

The three sorcerers were being watched from up above, and now a higher grade curse than expected had come out of hiding to kill them. The trio turned around, one more scared than the others.