Chapter 23: Weight You Carry

ᡕᠵ᠊ᡃ່࡚ࠢ࠘ ⸝່ࠡࠣ᠊߯᠆ࠣ࠘ᡁࠣ࠘᠊᠊ࠢ࠘𐡏 ♡

October was beginning, and missions handed down from Gojo were getting tougher. Kaori completed several on her own, and her body was not recovering as quickly as she would have liked. Toge could see the fatigue in her droopy eyes.

After a few nights of good rest, it was enough to bring up her energy levels, and Toge was glad for it.

"Are you feeling better?" he asked once everyone had left the classroom.

"I am, still kinda sore though," she replied, rubbing the back of her pained arm.

He watched her pack her textbooks into her bag, zipping it closed and tossing the strap over her uninjured arm. "Do you have any missions tomorrow night?" he questioned.

"Thankfully no," she laughed. "Why do you ask?"

"I want to take you on a real date."

She paused, thinking back. "What was fake about the last ones?"

"This one will be good, I promise," he pleaded, his eyes growing larger in hopes she would assume something greater out of the next evening.

"Good?" she said, intrigued. "Does that mean I can wear a nice dress?"

He nodded, "it's a little more formal than just a walk around the city, wear whatever you'd like."

Her lips curled happily, "can't wait."

ʚ♡⃛ɞ

The next evening, Toge knocked on Kaori's door at the time he said he would.

"Come in!" she shouted, something blocking her clear speech.

He opened the door, walking inside with a bundle of flowers in his arms.

Bobby pins stuck out from Kaori's lips, her hands busy pulling her hair back. She stuck the pins in her hair, pulled at the strands, and finally looked up.

Her lips parted, a small 'o' shape to her glossy lips. Standing up, her heels tapped the floor, and she cautiously walked over to him and the bouquet.

The yellow flowers were presented to her, a bow tied around the bottom of the tissue paper-covered stems. "For you," he smiled.

Her fingers migrated to her collarbone, the flowers she was seeing matching the golden one she was touching. That necklace had never left her neck since the night they started dating.

"It's a little late for our anniversary, but I wanted to have a calm night for us."

The zinnias in his hands were ignored for just a second as she reached over them, touching his cheek as she kissed his lips. "Thank you," she whispered, her hands taking the bundle from him.

He looked up at her, the green dress she wore suiting everything about her looks.

"Can I leave them here?" she asked, interrupting his admiring. "I don't want to ruin them too soon."

"That's fine," he nodded, watching her place them on her desk.

She grabbed a sweater out of her closet, tossing it over her shoulders and rushing back to the door. "Do I look ok?" she asked, holding her arms out slightly.