Chapter 11: Graveyard

ᡕᠵ᠊ᡃ່࡚ࠢ࠘ ⸝່ࠡࠣ᠊߯᠆ࠣ࠘ᡁࠣ࠘᠊᠊ࠢ࠘𐡏 ♡

"See anything, Toge?"

"Not yet."

Kaori flicked her scope on and scanned the area. The tombstones sometimes seemed to be in the shape of a curse, but it never was the real thing. Toge hovered on the ground next to her, squinting his eyes from lack of sleep and lighting to the area. The mausoleum next to them sat quietly as they looked for their target.

Kaori turned on the safety and lowered her sniper with a sigh. She turned to her classmate, "we should think of a plan, this isn't working."

He responded with a nod.

They sat quietly behind the tomb mumbling some ideas until they formed a semi-plan.

"How about... I'm the bait," Toge started. "You can stay here and once it comes into the open I can shout "don't move" and then you finish it off." He ended his idea with a questioning hum.

The brunette in front of him smiled at how clever he was, offering her knuckles to him for her praise. He smiled back and knocked his fist with hers, standing up after and sauntering into the field. Kaori propped her weapon onto the rock, turned off the safety, and readied her energy.

Soon enough, a limber looking curse creeped out behind a second gravestone, eyeing the boy in front of it. The curse stalked its prey like a cat, and it's reflexes when it leaped reflected that. It sprang quickly into the air, but Toge had already unzipped his uniform collar to shout "don't move!"

The curse squirmed uselessly as Kaori readied her technique. Her scope locked onto the curse, and her finger found the trigger.

Innate technique,

Mirror.

The cursed bullet shot forward and pierced the curse, it screeched as pieces of a mirror sliced through its body and consumed it from the outside. After just a second, the curse's own skill had backfired, leaving only a pile of shattered glass and purple blood on the grass.

Kaori sighed as their mission came to an end. She stood from the dirt and tugged at her summer uniform, which was a shorter skirt, before bending over to store her weapon. She quickly tossed the heavy guitar case over her back before joining her classmate in the center of the graveyard.

"I like that technique, what do you call it?" Toge asked, offering his knuckles this time.

Kaori returned the gesture, walking forward to the gate with him at her side.

"Mirroring."

ʚ♡⃛ɞ

The walk back to campus was just a short stroll through town. As the sun had finally rose, students from many grades made their way to school as well. Kaori and Toge's first midnight mission had left them both drained, but the bright morning light kept their eyes open.

That light let Toge feel just the slightest bit uncomfortable at the looks the pair were being given, one person more than the other.

Toge would be a liar if he said Kaori wasn't pretty. Her hair fell around her face neatly, and her eyes a complementing color to it. Even the way she wore her uniform, very clean and... short. Summer in Tokyo was no doubt, hot. So as the summer months came around, her uniform was adjusted to help her stay comfortable like the others had done.