27. 𝓑𝓻𝓸𝓴𝓮𝓷

Dhruv was stuck in traffic and he was getting late to Mahi's program

This whole week he was listless. Avanthika 's death anniversary was this week. Nobody had noticed except him. After that accident, every year he used to isolate himself from everyone around him. He would bury himself in the pain and agony , his only comfort being the loneliness.

But this year was different. He smiled a bit at that.

He wanted to celebrate Avantika's life rather than mourning her loss. It had never occurred to him that Avantika would've wanted him to do this.

And Mahika made him realise that.

Dhruv had remained true to his promise and cancelled everything for this evening but an urgent meeting with an important client came up which he couldn't ignore. He finished even that as fastly as he could cause he knew it was important for Mahi and he wanted be there for her atleast now.

He wanted to change atleast for Mahi and his family of not for him. They deserve that.

Suddenly a knock on his car window brought him out of his thoughts.

"Bhaiya , please buy these bangles. "

The girl couldn't have been older that 15. She was wearing a torn dress and carried sets of bangles of vibrant colours and sizes.

"Tumhara naam kya hai?"
(What is your name?)

"Komal. " She replied meekly

"Tumhe school nahi hai?"
(Don't you have school?)

"Nahi"
(No)

"Tera maa baap kaha hai?"
(Where is your mother and father?)

She didn't reply to that and refused to look into his eyes. Dhruv didn't want to pry either.

"Yeh Mera card hai. Tum Singhania building pe jaakar ye card Karthik Iyer ko dena. Tum kal se school jaoge. "
(This is my card. Take this to the Singhania building and give it to Karthik Iyer. You will go to school from tomorrow. )

He told her with a smile.

"Shukriya bhaiyya " she replied with tears in her eyes.

"Bhaiyya chudiyan? " She asked again with hope.
(Brother, bangles?)

"Han.. "Dhruv chuckled
"Mujhe woh nila aur safed dono dedo. "
(Give me that blue and white ones)

As the traffic started Dhruv gazed at the bangles.

"I know this won't redeem everything I did to you, Mahi. But I hope this will help for a new start. "

Suddenly Dhruv heard a crash behind him and he saw a small crowd in his rearview mirror.

He was getting late but something in his heart was screaming at him to go and check.

He got out and through the crowd he could see the form of Komal, unconscious and coverd in blood.