||68||

All speech is in English :)

°🌊°
Two days later_

"Y/n! Lean into that wave!" Uncle Jake shouted at me, I let out a small huff and leaned forward.

The wave quickly dispersed and I pushed myself back over onto the beach where Uncle Jake was stood with Tetsuro just awkwardly stood there. He wanted to go sailing with Melanie and her kids but my uncle seems to have gotten very attached to Tetsuro so he's kind of been trapped with us.

"Hey~" I whined as I pulled myself and my board over to the guys, "will you just let me surf on my own. I do know how to, you know?"

Also dude's voice is so damn loud like damn.

"Sorry," Uncle Jake muttered out with a small pout as I turned my gaze to Tetsuro who's gaze was glued to the sea.

"You want to give it a try, Tetsu?" I drew his attention to me.

"What?" Tetsuro looked at me confused for a moment, "me? Surf?"

"Yeah!" I grinned, "honestly, it's not all that scary and I think you'll be pretty good at it."

"I-I-"

"Yeah! Come on, lad," Uncle Jake pushed him over to a board he'd clearly made himself. He proudly gestured to the board and seemed to measure out Tetsuro's height with his eyes.

"Luckily for you, I think this beaut of a board will do you well," he told Tetsuro who looked somewhat intrigued.

"But uncle, before you throw him out to the sea you should probably teach him the beginning stuff," I quickly cut in before my uncle's excitement took over the very obvious never-had-surfed Tetsuro who definitely looked like he would just jump head first in this without a second thought now he had a board.

"Oh? Oh! Oh, right... oh righty," Uncle Jake calmed down and fell serious, "alright, come along with me, Tetsuro boy, I'll take care of ya and teach you everything you need then I'll get you out on the waves. Well, not the big ones.."

"Uh. Ok," Tetsuro nodded before seeming to remember something and looking to me, "what about you?"

"I'm going to help Melanie now. She has a big first birthday party come through that's also doubling out as a graduation celebration," I told him, "you boys have fun."

"Oh but shouldn't we help?" Tetsuro asked, clearly worried now he'd heard the state of the sailing schools building this afternoon.

"Oh trust me, kid, you do not want to be there if you have no idea what's going on," Uncle Jake patted his shoulder, "you're better off down here out of the ladies' way. They're used to this. Happens every few summers or so."

"Yeah we're good," I smiled, shooting Tetsuro a thumbs up before pulling my wetsuit down to my waist and pulling at my swim suit strap that was digging into my shoulder, "I'll see you tonight."

"Um... ok then," Tetsuro nodded as Uncle Jake untied the board from the car and gestured to the side.

"Let's go then, the sea waits for no one," Uncle Jake announced and I turned to the car, grabbed my bag and slung it over my shoulder.

The sailing school building is only a little further down the beach from where we already were so I could dry as I walk and then change once I got there.

It didn't take me long to get there and I poked my head in after a short knock on the door frame of the open door.

"Ah, y/n, you're here," Melanie greeted me with the brightest smile as the band (whoever they were) were warming up on the stage and doing band-y stuff. I don't know, man, I'm just a swimmer.

(God I do not miss my band days yeesh)

"You have a song request?" a familiar voice piped up from behind me as I walked into the building, I looked over my shoulder to see a friend of mine I made the second last time I visited so... a while ago.

"Oh hello, Ata," I nodded to him, "what're you doing here?"

"Oh, don't you know? My sister graduated from her music school, that's actually her band up there," Ata replied.

"Didn't think Ahere was ever going to graduate," I let out a surprised hum when I heard it was the most listless girl I know who was celebrating her graduation, "who's the one turning one then?"

"A neighbours, friends, cousins, sisters, daughter I think," Ata shrugged as the band started to play a very familiar tune to me, "oh! It's an Amy Macdonald cover. I'm going to get them to play this is the life. Catch you later."

"Sure," I nodded as he ran off to the stage and I just turned myself towards Melanie, "I'm going to get changed."

"Yeah, you've got time to have a shower too if you want one. Towels are in the cupboard," Melanie told me, "body wash should be down there too, oh. Shampoo wont though."

"That's ok, I'll just rinse my hair, be out in a bit," I told her, heading towards the women's changing room and doing as suggested.

I had a quick shower, thoroughly rinsed my hair and then fought with the hair dryer. I swear, new ones are very much needed.

My hair was still damp but that just made it easier to push out of the way and I was ready.

"Ok, so everyone will be arriving in about ten minutes," Melanie told me, "we're going to do music, some presents for the birthday girl then we're going to do presents for our graduate, apparently the families are going to come together to do a ceremonial performance and then the graduate and her band are going to perform some music while we do food and cake."

"The Haka?" I asked.

"Ah. Yes, that's it. My brains all frazzled today I couldn't remember the word," Melanie confirmed.

"Awesome!" I heard a shout from the other side of the room to see Ata doing a little jump, "this year for sure."

"Why're you so excited?" I gave him a weird look.

"The last three years my family have done the Haka for whatever reason and every. single. time, I was not in town. But I'm here this time," he explained.

"Someone's excited," I looked back to Melanie who just smiled and nodded before passing me a badge with my name on it.

"How old are you now?" she asked.

"18," I replied.

"Do you know how to make drinks?" she asked again.

"I know how to pour from the taps," I replied with a shrug.

"That's good enough," Melanie nodded, "mind watching the bar? It'll probably be the quietest of places but there'll still be people who'll want a drink."

"I got you," I nodded, "but I'm not doing cocktails. I don't know how to mix that stuff."

"That's fine, just do taps," she told me, "I'll put a sign up."

"Cool," I nodded, "then I'll get over there."

She quickly got distracted after I said that and I moved to the bar.

Time to put my training as an Australian in for the afternoon.

°🌊°

Meanwhile, Tetsuro...

"Ouch-- are you ok? That looked like it might have hurt," Jake grimaced as Tetsuro stood up again after face planting the water.

"I... am good," Tetsuro pushed himself up and let out a pained breath through clenched teeth, "this is harder than it looks."

"It's fun though, right?" Jake asked excitedly.

"Yes," Tetsuro nodded, "really fun."

The stinging of his face plant and earlier belly flop reminded him of the stinging of a volleyball, and oh did he miss volleyball.