||18||

"Second, huh?" I looked at the timing board, breathing heavily before looking to the girl next to me, "great race, Rosa."

"You too," she nodded before we looked to the girl on the other side of her, "and you to Aya."

"Yes, good race, Aya. You surprised me, just appearing out of no where like you did," I smiled at her, she shot us a grin.

"You surprised me too!" she exclaimed, "I'm glad I got to swim against you both. You truly are amazing."

"And you," myself and Rosa said in unison before we climbed out of the pool and headed towards the changing rooms again. I dried myself down and slipped my normal club uniform on, happy to be able to wear the Nekoma Girls Swim Team words on my back. Last time I did the individual relay, I failed miserably, so bad that I quit my team and hid from the pool for ages before Sosuke told me some pretty deep stuff and got me swimming again.

But now... I did better than I hoped and I can wear my uniform with pride this time.

As soon as I walked out of the changing room, I was attacked by Sosuke and Haru.

"You did amazing!" they both shouted, "we're so proud of you!"

I smiled and hugged them back before they let me go again.

"When we go back to Australia, you can show those bullies who's boss!" Haru punched the air energetically, I stuck my tongue out at him.

"I can and I intend to," I nodded.

"You were great!" suddenly a weight dropped on my back, I looked up to see Mako grinning her face off, "your butterfly and breast stroke needs a bit of an upgrade but you still did amazing! We were all sat up there super tense as we waited to see who came first."

"Oh... I came second... That means I have to buy dinner," I slumped forward, causing Mako to fall off my back.

"Nah," Rayla smiled, "you did better than even you thought you could so dinner is on Kuroo."

"Wait-- what?!" Kuroo jumped off the wall he was leaning on, "since when was that decided?!"

"It was the plan from the beginning," Haru shrugged, "seriously. You should know. Or are you a Nekoma swim team newbie?"

"He is," Sosuke laughed, poking Kuroo's cheek, "you poor boy."

"Get off," Kuroo huffed, swatting my brothers hand away, "I'll only buy dinner if the medley relay team comes first. If not, buy your own food."

"Guess we need to win then," I shrugged, "I don't get paid until next week."

Everyone smiled at me.

"Aw is poor y/n a bit skint?" Rayla teased.

"I spent my monthly wages getting our uniforms fixed up because someone decided to used the club funds to swap bus services," I shot her a glare, she laughed awkwardly before sliding behind Mako, "anyway, let's get upstairs and rest for the last race."

"Right," everyone nodded before we headed upstairs again.

°🌊°

Swimming line up: medley relay -
Back stroke - Mako Natsuya
Butterfly - Haruka Keishima
Breast stroke - Rayla Matsuo
Freestyle - f/n l/n

"We can do this," I told Rayla, Mako and Haruka as we lined up at our lane. Number 8.

"Hell yeah we can!" Haruka shouted, "I'm going to swim the best I can so you guys can do to nationals like this for your last year as a team."

Oh yeah.

We're third years now... Our teachers will be bugging us for college choices soon...

"Thanks for reminding us we're going to be leaving soon," Mako gave her a bored look. Haruka just laughed awkwardly before adjusting her swimming stuff.

The announcement to get ready was called and Mako dropped into the pool.

"Give us a good start," Rayla smiled to her.

"Go it," Mako nodded before pulling herself up ready to dive backwards, making sure her goggles were securely on her face.

A couple moments of silence filled the area before the start sound sounded and the swimmers in the pool arched back and dove into the water.

"Go, Mako!" we shouted as she swam as fast as she possibly could push herself through the water, she hit the rotation and smoothly came back to us, keeping us in a comfortable first place.

"Haruka," I pushed her lightly towards the diving block, she nodded and took her position ready to dive. She pulled her goggles down and placed her hands on the edge of the block, we watched as Mako kept swimming towards us and then as soon as her hand hit the wall of the pool, Haruka went diving in at the 'go, Haruka!' being shouted from Mako in the pool.

"Awkward start," Rayla commented to the slight slipping of Haruka's foot as she pushed herself off the board, I nodded as I pulled Mako out the pool.

"The block must've been wet or she got a bit too enthusiastic and rushed her dive," I commented.

"Most likely the latter," Mako smiled as we watched Haruka swim the butterfly down the lane, "wow, her form is perfect."

"She looks like an actual butterfly," Rayla smiled.

"Go on, Haruka!" I shouted.

"Oh no," Rayla bit her lip slightly annoyed, "she used all her energy up at the beginning."

I looked to Haruka to see she was slowing down rapidly and she hadn't even reached the rotation yet.

"I'm going to have a lot of catch up to do," Rayla whined as we watched a couple of the other lanes dive in for the breast stroke as Haruka did her rotation.

"Cheer for her," Mako hit us both.

"R-right," we nodded.

"Come on, Haruka!"

"You can do it!"

"Keep pushing!"

"Go, Haruka!"

She finally reached us and Rayla dove in immediately as soon as the other girls hand hit the wall. She sped up and managed to reach the rotation quickly, but as she was coming to me I noticed she began slowing down again at the half way.

The first lane on free was the lane next to us. Number 7.

"Come on, Rayla," I mumbled, itching to dive into the water as I secured my goggles, "just a bit faster."

It was like she was swimming in slow motion and by the time she reached me, I was getting annoyed that I wasn't in the water and as soon as her hand hit the wall I rushed my dive and did half a dive. It hurt my arms, let's just say that.

Ignoring the burning in my body, I pushed my muscles as hard as I could, forcing myself to keep gaining speed.

Faster.

I need to go faster.

Reaching the rotation, I spun around and pushed myself off the wall, using the wall as extra energy and pushed my speed up more and more.

5th place.

Faster.

4th place.

I need more speed.

3rd place.

So close.

2nd place.

Come on!

"Go y/n! Faster! Go go go!" I could hear everyone's cheers.

The water seemed to become lighter around me, helping me push quicker through the water until...