Chapter 6

Elaena was running her fingers on a wine glass rim as she listened to Corlys. She doesn't know why but Daemon brought her along to Driftmark, riding Caraxes on dragonback and having her listen to what the Sea Snake will say.

"House Velaryon's origins reach back to Old Valyria. More ancient even than House Targaryen... according to some texts. But unlike the Targaryens, we were no dragonlords. For centuries, my house had to scratch out an existence from the sea with grit and luck. When I ascended the Driftwood Throne... I knew what I wanted. So I went out and seized it. Unlike every other lord of the realm, I can say that I built my house's high seat with the strength of mine own back."

Corlys started and leaned towards his seat to Daemon while Elaena was sitting behind the table where she can still hear what they're talking about.

"I've always thought of you and I as having been made from the same cloth." He added, Daemon glanced at Elaena who just shrugged her shoulders and took a sip from her wine.

"I wasn't aware you had a king for a brother." Daemon spoked, Elaena smirked and shook her head.

"We're both men who have had to cut our own way through the world. We've been passed over... too often." Corlys replied.

"Did you call me to Driftmark to remind me of my low standing, Lord Corlys, or was there some other reason?" Daemon questioned.

"You've heard of the troubles in the Stepstones?" Corlys asked.

As soon as Daemon and Elaena heard the word Stepstones, they looked at each other to which Corlys noticed.

Elaena hummed, "Some Myrish Prince is feeding Westerosi sailors to the crabs." She answered.

Corlys nodded his head, "I have been petitioning the King to send my navy into the territory, but he's denied me." He stated.

Daemon stood up and went towards the fire, standing in front of it, "It was never my brother's strongest trait." He muttered.

Corlys furrowed his eyebrows, "What?" He asked.

"Being King." Daemon replied, looking at him over his shoulders.

"The Crabfeeder is backed by powerful entities within the Free Cities who wish to see Westeros weakened. And the King's failures have allowed him to accumulate strength. If those shipping lanes fall, my house will be crippled. And I will not have Driftmark beggared while our King idles himself with feasts and balls and tourneys." Corlys spoke.

"I will speak of my brother as I wish. You will not." Daemon countered.

Elaena quietly chuckled, taking another sip from her wine, she continued listening as she was interested and knew where this was going. Corlys clearly asked for Daemon's help in taking care of this problem and he asked the right person. Elaena wished that Daemon nor Corlys would let her join this exciting battle.

"Waiting in the Stepstones is a chance for you to prove your worth to any who might yet doubt it. We are the realm's second sons, Daemon. Our worth is not given. It must be made." Corlys muttered.

Daemon looked over at Elaena as purple meets dark brown, their thoughts conversing with each other and Corlys noticed the deep bond Daemon and Elaena have. He noticed how Daemon cared for her and how Elaena honors him. And with Daemon teaching her everything he knows, Daemon made another version of him through Elaena which makes the both of them a force to be reckoned with. As Corlys was observing Elaena, she was quiet, observant, and can potentially be more frightening than Daemon even without a dragon.

"If you will join this battle, you know I will join too." Elaena muttered, earning a chuckle from Daemon while Corlys listened to them.

"I know, my wildfire. You love war more than me." Daemon muttered and sat in front of her.