Chapter 15

Daemon was sitting on a chair inside Viserys' room while Rhaenyra was standing beside him.

"He looks like a different person. I believe we should also consult Maester Gerardys. Perhaps if he could see the King, he'd suggest a different..."

Rhaenyra's mumbling was interrupted when the door opened and Alicent appeared.

"Princess Rhaenyra. And Prince Daemon. It has been so long since we were granted the joy of your presence." Alicent greeted.

"Indeed, Your Grace." Rhaenyra replied.

"Though not long enough to merit a greeting upon our arrival." Daemon spoke.

"I'm sure the Queen had pressing business, my love. What can either of us know of ruling a kingdom?" Rhaenyra answered.

"I do not rule, as you well know. My father and I are mere stewards of the King's will and wisdom." Alicent stated.

"And how exactly is that wisdom expressed? Hmm? In blinks and wheezes? I'd be surprised if he could remember his own name. Or if you could." Daemon muttered.

"King Viserys' condition has worsened since you saw him last."

Daemon scoffed, interrupting Alicent.

"It subjects him to considerable pain. On the advice of the maesters..." She added.

"Ah, the maesters. Of course. It is they who keep him... addled on milk of the poppy while the Hightowers warm his throne." Rhaenyra said, interrupting Alicent once more.

"Rhaenyra, if you would see him without it, almost blind with suffering." Alicent countered.

"Oh. Alicent, I have no doubt it was an act of the purest mercy, but tell me, for the King's suffering, did the maesters also prescribe the removal of Targaryen heraldry and the installation in its stead of various statues and stars?" Daemon questioned, standing in front of Alicent.

"The emblems of the Seven serve only to guide us on an uncertain path." Alicent stated as Daemon clicks his tongue, "To remind us of a higher authority." She added and averted her eyes to Rhaenyra.

"And on the morrow, which authority will sit in judgment of my son's claim on his own inheritance?" Rhaenyra asked.

"That would be mine... and the Hand's." Alicent answered, "But be assured, the Father is just and commands me to forget the accusations you have hurled in this room today." She added and was about to leave when she turned and faced the two.

"Where's Elaena?" Alicent asked.

"My daughter's whereabouts are none of your business." Daemon replied.

Alicent just smiled and left.

Back in Stepstones, Elaena was now wearing her usual clothes comprising of a pair of trousers, a long tunic with a black corset on top of it, a pair of black leather boots and black leather gloves.

"Hurry up, Arden." Elaena yelled.

Arden ran towards her with a bag on his back, his eyes widened as a dragon landed near Elaena. Before Elaena joined the war, something happened that greatly shocked even Elaena herself. Silverwing who was ridden by Queen Alysanne Targaryen chose Elaena as her mount. The beautiful silvery she-dragon landed just beside Elaena when she was laying on the sand of Dragonstone and comfortably rested beside her. Elaena thought that was her last day, that the dragon would burn her alive, for she herself isn't a trueborn Targaryen and not a dragonrider, she was just a commoner adopted by a prince yet a dragon chose her as her rider. Even Daemon didn't know about this. Elaena thought at first that she was dreaming and pinched herself, hard. The dragon softly growled, staring at her and slowly bumped her snot to Elaena.