26

"matt?" chris's voice comes again from the other  side of the door. me and matt both sit upright and look at the door then at each other.

"uh... coming." matt responds unsurely. matt gets up and i panic and consider hiding in the closet but decided to just throw a blanket over myself and hope for the best.

matt unlocks and opens the door. "what do you want?" matt's voice asks groggily as if he'd been sleeping. "we're you asleep?" chris asks. "yeah." matt answers irritatedly. "oh. long day i guess." chris pauses for a second. "anyway, i'm bored." chris says and i here him enter the room and my blood goes cold. "no!" matt protests. "why?" chris asks skeptically. "because i'm going back to sleep, moron. get out."

"fine. jesus." chris responds and exits the room. i feel my whole body relax. matt shuts the door and then locks it a few seconds after chris walks away.

matt comes back over to the bed and i uncover myself. "that was a close one." i sigh.

i wake up to the sound of matt's alarm. dang, when i went to sleep last night i completely forgot it was a school night. i jump out of bed and collect my phone and..... that's literally all i brought with me. i press my ear to the door to see if i can here if nick and chris are out of their rooms or not. "they should still be asleep." matt mumbles to me after stopping his alarm and going back to sleep.

i peek my head out the door to make sure the coast is clear before steeling one last glance at matt and leaving.

at school prom was everyone's topic of conversation and you could already feel an exiting buzz in the air. that, however, wasn't the only thing different today. back sitting in her old spot at our lunch table is none other than laken owens. that bitch. marly gives me a knowing glance when i sit down beside her. in front of laken. i kind of start to feel bad for her when i see her look at me wearily. the group of girls she had been sitting with were looking over here with disgust. did laken get on their bad side too?

before i could even say anything, emma, the most outspoken of us, speaks up, "so, laken, what are you doing?" she asked judgmentally gesturing to her sitting here with us.

"um.... well, i was just wanting to be friends with you guys again." she spoke shyly. well. that was straight to the point. when everyone just looks at her coldly she says, "i don't like sitting with them," she gestured to the group of girls that are still occasionally glaring at us. i don't like them. most of them are hoes that are jealous of my friendship with the triplets. "they are jerks. and i really don't want to sit alone."

i just roll my eyes. that's the only reason she wants to be friends with us again. so she doesn't look stupid.

one of the girls from the other table, kayla, walks over to us and not so quietly whispers to laken, "i don't know why you want to be friends so bad with someone who gate keeps matt and chris."

kayla. she would do anything to get their attention. that hoe bag has even flirted with nick. after he came out.

"leave, kayla." laken mumbled looking at the table.

kayla steps back but locks eyes with me and pretty much announces, "y/n, why do you have to be such a whore? we all know what you get up to when you hang out with your little next-door neighbors. and being a whore is one thing, but then losing you shit when someone else tries to get with them? that just makes you one desperate bit-" she gets cut off by laken's fist colliding with her face.

kayla falls to the ground and holds her mouth in pain. "don't talk about her like that. if anyone here is a whore it's you." the whole cafeteria is watching now. "and for the record," laken continues, this time loud enough for everyone to hear, "we all know you hooked up with derek. seriously? your own sister's boyfriend?" the whole cafeteria oo's and oh's over the information laken just spilled. kayla's older sister stands up from her spot at their table. "WHAT?" she screams, making her way over to kayla and is about to fuck her up before three teacher come running over and interveign, taking kayla to the nurse and laken to the principles office.

lunch is over shortly after, but instead of going to class, i go to the principles office. laken is sitting in the waiting area, probably waiting for them to call her parents or something.

"hey." i say and sit next to her. she looks over at me nervously, "hey."

"thanks for sticking up for me back there." i say looking at the ground.

"yeah," she sighs, "anytime."

"did they talk shit about me a lot? when you sat with them?" i ask.

"yes, literally all the time." she answers, "that's why i stopped sitting with them. it felt wrong. you are-where my best friend."

we sit in silence for a while before the principle comes over to us. "your mom is going to pick you up. you are suspended for the rest of the day. detention after school for the rest of the week."

"do i still get to go to prom?" she asked hopefully. the principle nods 'yes' nonchalantly as he turns and leaves.

"um, hey, if your mom will let you," i speak up, "do you want to hang out after school?" i ask before adding with a smirk, "we can even invite chris if you want."

she looks at me and smiles, "sure, i'd love to. but don't invite chris." she says with a soft smile. i smile back at her widely before pulling her into a hug.