Chapter 4- Funeral.

Joel Adams- Please Don't Go.

In loving memory of my  grandma Elizabeth and Dad Jonathan.🥺😊💕💕

Please don't go, Faye prayed in her dream that night as her mother stood at arm's reach from her on their patio smiling. Yet in that dream, she couldn't reach out to hold her, it was like she was out of reach. She woke up in tears that morning.

The funeral started at 8am Saturday morning at the Quansah's residence in the barracks. The military procession made the occasion even more sentimental with their amazing songs by the army trumpeters, those on  ,. Zc,the trambone and those on the drums.

They were all garbed in their official regalia consisting of their red and white ...with their various swords strapped to their sides as they all lined up on either side of the coffin raising their swords above the body till each person on the opposite had his sword touching that of the other on the opposite side.

Her mother looked like an ethereal creature with her paled skin and shrunken body. She looked even smaller than she did when Faye had last seen her. The view shook her to the core and she exited the living room where everyone had gathered.

Mr Quansah was a wreck. He couldn't even look at her without breaking down in tears. Ladi held on to Julie who was weeping. It felt like de ja vu at that moment, it brought back memories of his mother's funeral. He had been so young, he cried so much that day that his head hurt for three nights.

Kweiba stood on the patio and watched Faye cry. There wasn't much she could do but at least being there meant something. Veronica hadn't lost a loved one before so seeing so many people mourning brought so much empathy into her eyes, she couldn't help but cry though she had never met Mrs Quansah. Ashanti couldn't hold back her tears, four months ago, she had been standing at her own father's funeral and it had been a tragic day, one she would never forget as a great and loving man was lowered down below the earth. That was the moment she had fully lost faith in God. If he really existed, why would he allow such a good person to die, yet again another good person was going to be lowered down today, why?

As if that wasn't enough, three of Faye's admirers were present after hearing about the news, Kwamena, Kevin from her class and Owen from her Junior high boarding school were all present. It was obvious so many people cared about Faye not only because they had history with her, but because she seemed to grow on people and it seemed she didn't really know that. She touched each of their hearts in varied ways and was one girl they could all reckon with, but they were all there for one reason- They couldn't watch Faye experience this alone, they had to be there for her.

Mr Quansah didn't want the children to go to the cemetery but they insisted they wanted to be there so he had one of their uncle's drive them towards the military cemetery since Mrs Quansah had been a veteran herself. Ladi drove the Manhattan girls.

" I feel so bad for Faye." Veronica wipes a stray tear, " I mean what will I do without my mother... what will life be like without my mother?"

" You guys should appreciate you have one to go home to, because trust me, no matter how annoying and sometimes weird they are, they still love you in a way no one on the earth can." Kweiba pats Veronica on the back and says, " I wish I had lived with my mom long enough before she passed away."

" She's right you know." Ladi agrees taking a turn unto the cemetery road.

It was a very sad depressing day, Faye refused to eat anything and just locked herself up in her room afterwards. Ladi told the girls to let her be, she needed some time to fully grasp what had just happened. Somewhere through five nightmares during the night, Faye got up and after tripping over at least four items, found her way into the guest room where her father was spending the night.