Chapter 5- Beach

Natalie Imbruglia- Torn

The Amarquaye household was still going through through the hustle and bustle of the day since Heather wasn't strong enough yet. They had expected Heather to come home and give her mother a little break from hawking by replacing her for a few weeks. Instead, her daughter showed up with a gun wound and was practically useless at home.

According to the doctor since it was a flesh wound, it would heal in a few weeks but with the right exercise and enough rest, it could heal faster.

Zarah was setting up the fire for their supper, London wasn't back from hawking with her mother, Chanel wasn't home from her job as a typist in a local internet cafe and Heather on the other hand was at the local preschool to pick up a younger brother, Rodrick. He always loved it when she came for him from school. They would play funny games on the walk home and she would carry his backpack for him or carry him on her shoulders or sing nursery rhymes he had learnt in school out loud on the busy streets but today she couldn't do much of that.

Heather realizes he had noticed the difference and decided to distract him instead.

" Are we there yet?" Heather calls out in the local language Ga standing behind Rodrick with both hands on either of his shoulders as he led the way home.

" Not yet." He called out.

Heather had adopted this game to make the walk home seem shorter.

She kept repeating the question and he sung out the same answer.

Heather stopped midway to check the content of his backpack to throw most of the wrappers he kept in there into a near by bin. She didn't find the usual biscuit wrappers and empty juice box lying next to his homework like she always found.

" BabyNii, where'd your snack go?" Heather curiously asked the marching boy in the white shirt and yellow shorts.

" Mrs Mildred took it." He announced absentmindedly.

" What?....but that's for you."

" She asked if she could have it and I said yes." He replied.

" But didn't you want it?" Heather asked.

" Yes I did, but I didn't want her to feel bad." He replied in his wee little voice.

Heather made a mental note to speak to the teacher the next day. She didn't want to tell him about it else he'd protest so she zipped up the bag and turned to him.

" So what was the new rhyme you were taught today?" She changed the topic.

" Oh yeah, it was like this. This Old Man he played one, he played knickknack on my door..." He literally sung the whole song.

On the way, they passed Mrs Bannerman's shop, she was Heather's mother's friend and Heather coaxed Rodrick to say a greeting.

" Good mooorniing Mrs Bannanah." He mispronounced her name.

" If it's not my intelligent little boy." The old lady beamed.

" BabyNii, it's afternoon." Heather corrects him with a chuckle.

" Okay." He whispered to Heather and turns back to the woman with a toothy grin, " Good afternoon Mrs Bannanah."

The two ladies burst out in laughter.

" Here's a biscuit for your cheerful greeting." Mrs Bannerman picked up a packet of crackers from her basket of sweets and handed it to him. Before Heather could remind him to say thank you, he beats her to it with the phrase she taught him, " I know, I know... I'm very grateful and thankful auntie."