Chapter 6- Flight

One Direction- Drag me down.
Chapter dedicated to @MarianRKA

Faye sat on her bed in tears that Saturday morning. Every morning she literally woke up in tears just angry at the world. She wondered if her life would ever get back to normal. Even if she did go back to school, nothing would be the same. Literally everyone now views Manhattan house differently after rumors begun to spread, she had also been kicked off the soccer team. The reputation she was trying to create had been thrown in the gutters even before it flourished and she wondered if Ladi would continue seeing her the way he did.

The last conversation she had had with her mom was about him. She didn't want to lose him and yet here she was constantly feeling unworthy to be with him and that feeling alone was enough to wreck their relationship. She kept wondering, if he wrote the SATs and went to Dartmouth, would he ever remember her? Would he feel the same way about her even if they meet twenty years later? She was afraid he'd meet better girls out there, girls who didn't need drugs to dull their senses from reality, girls who didn't have to be forced to eat, girls who had plans for their lives, who weren't sitting around watching whiles everyone prospered around them, girls who didn't wish they could throw themselves off a cliff or something.

It was unnerving to have such feelings everyday. Her mother had told her to grow up into Fayanna Quansah. She was an individual in this world yet it seemed every decision she made was based on what she wanted others to think of her and not how she really thought or felt about herself. As a result she had created an armour but there was a chink in this armour because everything she thought it was made of was delusional, like an ormolu encrusted armour made of rubber. So whenever she had to face herself, her demons, she would cower in fear instead of standing up to it .

Maybe she needed to prove to herself that she alone was capable of shaping herself and her mind into whatever she wanted to become because even her Aunt Emefa believed she was such a beautiful girl who would attract a wealthy husband in future.

That wasn't what she wanted for herself, she didn't want her success to be based on someone else's hardwork, that was the biggest ruin she could inflict on herself, so maybe it was time to pick herself up, and create her own success on her own without holding on to people in her life.

Even Julie was her own person, Julie handled situations even way better than she did and she wondered, if she wanted to hold on to everyone in her life to create her world for her, then who does Julie lean on? It was time to take school seriously, and grab any great opportunity that comes her way and that was what she resolved to do. Her father had thought her so many things that her friends didn't know how to do, all she needed to add to it was a little attentiveness and hardwork.

She and Julie could single handedly operate the military machine M3 Amphibious her father had been put in charge of by the Army. He trained his sergeants and cadets on how to run it in the Volta lake the previous year and had included his children in the training, he literally trained them just like the sergeants and that made the men give it all they've got because if these kids could do it, then what were they doing. She could fly a June bug, her mother taught her how to do that when she was seven because she had been a Flight Lieutenant. What happened to that girl who knew everything was possible? It's like she practically buried that girl.

She laughed at the memory of Julie behind the controls of the amphibious  assembling itself on the shore of the Volta lake as she tried to get it to sail at the right distance in the water for the sergeants to drive in the armour cars. She remembered almost being tossed out of her position by the movement of the vehicle on the lake as she tried to navigate it to be stable and her Dad yelling, " Full stamina kid! What have you been eating, Fried worms?!!" She could swear almost everyone wanted to laugh but if Major Quansah was in command, that should be the last thing you should try to do. She couldn't help but giggle.