Chapter 17- A farewell

Ed Sheeran - I see Fire

There was a newly furbished section on the third floor, the plaque on the wall read Tech Fields' Logistics, In memory of Pharel Kwesi Goodman. The new staff for that department stood in their neat uniforms, from drivers straight to telemarketers. They smiled warmly at Mrs Goodman just as Ashanti had told them to.

" We have a new department now. Logistics, so we don't have to use external sharks sinking their teeth deep into our pockets." Ashanti fills her in.

" Why have I never thought of that?!" The old lady gasps, extending a hand she introduced herself, " I am Nana Ama Goodman, it's really a pleasure to meet you all."

Chanel shook hands with her,
" Likewise Mrs Goodman, the team will be privileged to work with you knowing your legacy."

After that, there was a brief meeting with Cooperate affairs before she went through the annual report. She was so impressed she offered to give a twenty percent bonus to everyone at the end of the month.

As soon as she stepped out of the building with Ashanti in toe, Ashanti stared at her.

" What now?" The older woman asked.

" Do I also get a twenty percent bonus?" Ashanti pouts.

" Technically, you're working to pay off the huge debt you owe me, I don't think people get paid bonuses from their loaners." The older lady explained precisely.

" But grandma, I've been good for so long it's suffocating." Ashanti whines.

" Then maybe it's time you choke yourself in the process. Being good shouldn't be a duty, it should be part of who you are."

Ashanti scowled at that statement and it reminded her grandma so much of Ashanti at  three years with her father was constantly doting on her, " You can have a 100 dollar allowance." She sighed.

" 300?" Ashanti probes.

" Don't push it child." Her grandma states blatantly and Ashanti deflates,
" What do you say?"

" Thank you maame." She drawls.

" Maybe I'll make it 200 if you're more appreciative." Her grandma says with a sly grin.

" Thank you maame!!!" Ashanti hugs her ecstatically.

" I am old Efriyie. Get a hold of yourself." She warns and Ashanti quickly let go.

" What about me?" Donald finally asked unlocking the car door and opening it to the older woman.

" You too son."

" That's not fair grandma, I literally had to beg for mine."

" You think the world revolves around you huh?" Her grandma chuckled and got into the car, " Let's talk more over dinner...Mrs McAdams made Apeprensa with crabs."

She beamed so much at the thought of a home cooked meal.

" We need to make a detour to the seamstress to get your measurements taken for that dress." She says when Donald pulled up unto the highway.

" You still want to take me to that funeral?" Ashanti groans.

" Yes sweetie. I need a plus one before I say something mean to Yaa." Her grandma refers to her long time rival. The two had been at each other's throats since high school.

" What exactly do you want me to do?"

" You're in Nelson's, that's something. Her grandson didn't get in. She thinks I am less of an African because I've lived in Argentina for so many years."