[07]

Veruna had packed a basket of food and another of warm clothes and blankets that she arranged on either side of her horse's saddle. She was going out into the forest as she had finally gotten free from her tasks at the base.

She had told Talia about a peasant family she had met in the forest as well as how hard it was for them to survive the cold weather due to a lack of resources. And Talia had allowed her to pack some stuff up that could help them out.

So she had prepared everything herself and decided to go there on her own.

She didn't have to ride deep into the forest and soon as she had left the boundaries of the League's base at the Al Ghul fortress, she took a turn down a rough path that led to a shabby clearing. A small hut was erected in the refuge of the thick trees and it didn't take her very long to reach there.

She unmounted her horse and led it up to the trees to tie it. It wasn't the first time she had come there either so when she knocked on the door, it opened with an excited cheer.

"She's back," an excited little girl and her brother had come out to greet her and Veruna smiled as she ruffled both their heads gently.

Both the children were twins and barely seven or eight years old. They lived with their grandmother as their parents had been killed in the aftermath of the League's many battles in Nanda Parbat. However, the three weren't the only occupants in that shabby little hut.

There was one more person who lived with them but it seemed as if he wasn't home yet.

"Veruna, my child, come in," the old woman called from inside, unable to come out and greet her as her weak legs were unable to bear her weight. 

"Salaam Amma," Veruna came inside and brought the baskets she had packed for them, placing them down beside the woman's bed. "I brought food and blankets, please don't say no to them. It's a gift."

"My dear girl, you visiting us often is a gift in itself," she beckoned her closer and Veruna saw those old eyes shining in gratitude, "you care so much for us that we hardly need to ask for anything else."

She unpacked the baskets and took out the blanket to cover up the old woman who was shivering in cold. She had also brought warm knitted sweaters for the children that she helped them put on as well.

Both siblings were delighted with the gift, twirling around in happiness. She also brought out the warm food and a thermos of hot tea that she poured out for the little family.

"Where's Saahir?" She asked at last, looking out the window to check the time by observing the fading rays of light.

"He had gone to fetch wood for the fire," the old woman who she called Amma replied, "he will be back any moment now."

She kept a loaf of bread and some tea aside for Saahir so that the food wouldn't all get finished before he reached. But they didn't have to wait long as a knock sounded shortly after and the twins rushed cheerfully to open the door.

"Akkhi!" The children eagerly hugged the man who stepped in. They called him Akkhi which was a term used to address elder brothers although Saahir wasn't related to them.

But he treated them just like he would have treated his own younger siblings and despite being a stranger to them, in no time he had become a support for them and they considered him family.

"What a pleasant surprise," he spoke up on seeing Veruna as he came to the room but then he bowed his head for the old woman to reach out and pat gently, "salaam, Amma."

His gentle brown eyes flickered in warmth and after greeting them, he picked up the bundle of wood he had brought with him to go and light up a bonfire outside. 

Dusk had fallen and Veruna knew it was time for her to go back so she took leave from Amma and the little twins and then stepped outside where Saahir was tending to the fire.

Seeing her approach him, Saahir stopped kindling the fire that he had just started, turning to face her with a smile on his features.

Haloed by the orange flames, his face was clearer than ever to her. Those thick brows and heavy-lidded brown eyes, the prominent cheekbones and jawline and the light stubble that covered his chin.

"Anything I can help you with, madame?" He asked, his voice shaking her out of the brief moment she had taken to observe his features.

"Don't call me that," she remarked, "I told you that you can call me Veruna."

"You have a lovely name," he replied, throwing the twig he was using to kindle the fire into the flames, "but it feels disrespectful to address you as such." 

She raised an eyebrow skeptically, "and why is that?"

"We don't know each other that well to be on first-name basis," he replied, eyes observing the flicker of expression on her face from surprise to slight curiosity.

"Yet you let me call you Saahir."

His eyes sparkled and the gleam was caught in the light of the flames, "because I like to hear you say it."

There was something in his voice and the expression in his eyes that made her feel a way she had never felt before. She felt her cheeks tingle but dismissed it to just be her skin thawing slightly due to the warmth of the fire.

"I was leaving anyway. But I had to tell you that I brought fresh bread and tea for Amma. I kept some aside for you as well. Don't forget to eat it."

"Thank you for being so kind to us," his smile widened as he used the same term to address her that she had just told him not to, "madame."

She shook her head as if disappointed, but a smile was about to break out on her face as well, "what is it with you not remembering what I just said?"

He shrugged, leaving the fire that he was tending and went to untie her horse himself. The horse too was familiar with him as it did not fret, letting him gently stroke its nuzzle before bringing it to Veruna. 

"You know where I come from, we do not call women by name unless they are our wives, sisters or daughters. And to me, you don't fall in any of these relations..." He paused as if he was about to say something but had masked it with a smile, "yet."

She paused, realizing that he had never told her that he had come from some other place, "wait, you come for some other place?"

"Indeed. But it's a long story and you said you were leaving."

For some reason, the more she met him, the more curious she got to find out about him. Saahir might as well be the personification of his name itself.

A Saahir, or magician, for he had enamored her even though they hadn't met long ago. They might have met each other only three or four times but there was something about him that pulled her towards him like a magnet.

She took the reins from him and mounted her horse, "you could have simply answered with the name of the place but as usual, you're weaving your words into nothing."

He laughed, the soft sound of it resonating around her, "if you come to visit us next time and I am by chance at home then, I will tell you about my country."

"You better not forget," she couldn't help but smile as his laughter faded and he dipped his head in a nod.

"Certainly. Until next time."

***