[20]

Soft sounds of the piano playing and children singing along to it could be heard as Talia walked through the hall. She had been told to wait in the hall and she took a seat, emerald eyes flickering around in curiosity.

She was at the Gotham city orphanage as a reliable source had told her that was where she would find Richard Grayson. The boy often volunteered at the orphanage and would play piano for the children staying there.

At last, the soft tune came to a halt and the door opened. Richard stepped out, bidding farewell to all those children who had flocked around him. 

But when he saw who was waiting for him out in the hall, he paused abruptly, sky blue eyes flickering in alarm. Talia offered him a smile, but her eyes too were carefully observing his reaction.

"Miss Talia, how good to see you again," Richard had quickly schooled his expression into the usual cheerful outlook, "I never expected us to meet here of all places."

She could see that he was good at taking hold of his expressions quickly. No wonder Batman would trust someone like him to be his sidekick.

She could see why she was so drawn to him even though she barely knew him. The boy reminded her a lot of her own self, the way she used to be back when she was quite eager about being the perfect heir worthy enough to get the title of Ra's Al Ghul's successor.

"Would you join me for coffee?" She asked, keeping up the sweet and informal demeanor, "I don't know many people here but I figured I could use the company of a friend."

"Um... Okay..." He replied but it was evident that he didn't want to go along with her. 

He was probably thinking about Batman warning him to stay away from the League and Talia herself, she thought as her smile widened.

But then technically, she wasn't supposed to know he was Robin. And he would never bring it up himself so he would keep on pretending that she didn't know as well.

"How did you know I would be here?" He asked as he accompanied her out of the orphanage, being cautious of her as he now knew exactly what she was capable of.

"Lucky guess," she replied breezily, "so which coffee shop here is the best one?"

"There's one right around the corner at Robinson Square," he replied, "they have coffee and a mini bakery as well."

"Excellent. Nice spot to talk, I hope?"

"I guess," he shrugged, leading the way but trying to be aware of her every move.

He knew she wouldn't do anything in public. But if Bruce came to know that he was with her at the moment, things could get troublesome.

"How about that table in the corner?" She pointed out an isolated table as they stepped into the shop. 

There was no one else seated around that table so chances of being overheard would be minimal. It seemed whatever Talia wanted to talk to him about was something she didn't need other people to hear.

He nodded, "please go take a seat. I'll get the order placed. What would you like to have?"

"Anything that's your favorite on the menu," she smiled brightly.

"Oh okay... Right."

She could sense that the boy was both worried and flustered but not many people could tell that by the effortless way he had managed his facade. It was almost as if she was looking at a younger version of herself, the layer of courtesy concealing him was impeccably flawless.

She observed as he went up to the counter to give the order, talking casually with the boy behind it. True, many people knew him at the shop but he didn't look fazed by the attention.