[29]

Talia knew she was playing with fire and could get burned herself in the aftermath.

But in her opinion, she had very few choices left.

Her foremost priority was ensuring her own survival which was put at risk at the moment by all the conspiracies brewing around her. She couldn't afford to let anyone steal the rank she held in the League and she couldn't let herself get vanquished as a result.

She did not know that Ra's had received a letter from Dusan warning him to be watchful of Talia. But she did anticipate that her father would find out about the deal with Deathstroke so she was treading with extreme caution.

She couldn't let slip anything, not even a single opportunity for Ra's to accuse her of betrayal. Because if that happened, she knew the price she would have to pay very well.

The punishment for treason was death, be it an Al Ghul who committed the act or a common Assassin. And she couldn't let that fate befall her, not at any cost.

She had allowed Veruna to go visit the village that day as she had told her that Saahir and his family had moved from the forest. Talia still had her doubts about the man but she knew he was important to Veruna so she didn't forbid her from meeting him.

She could consider that permission as a reward bestowed upon her faithful soldier. A reward that she could extract the price of when she needed her loyalty most.

So she was alone in her room by then, pondering over what she had to do next. For the time being, each and every decision she took had to be approved by Ra's Al Ghul. So she had to be very careful that the man would not figure out what she was up to.

And as Ra's was observing her every move, the safer option would be to give him what he wanted and put his mind to rest from any thoughts of Talia turning her back on him.

So far the one thing which Ra's seemed very intent to achieve was having Batman as an ally to the League.

If she managed to convince Batman into forming an alliance with them, it would automatically make Ra's proud of her. And if Ra's acknowledged her effort in making that happen, it would perhaps set his mind at ease regarding her ever being able to betray him.

So she had to take that risk as well.

That evening, she was called into the Throne Room by her father as per routine. She knew he had to discuss the current tidings of the League so she followed without fail.

However, the second Ra's dismissed everyone made it clear to her that she had been called for something much more personal.

"Is something wrong, Father? Why did you dismiss the others?"

"Because I wish to speak with you alone," he replied, his wise old eyes focused on her, "I have heard you have been up to a lot these days."

She kept her composure as she remarked, "pardon?"

"After your visit to Cape Town, I got a very interesting letter," he took the piece of paper out and Talia's eyes cautiously settled on it, "your brother thinks you are making dangerous decisions in choosing our allies."

Her eyes flickered slightly but she took in a breath to calm herself down. She knew Dusan would never betray her like that. And by the way, Ra's was curiously observing her as if waiting for an outburst, she felt he was intentionally testing her patience.

Dusan was a very rational person. She knew he would never jump to conclusions nor would he let Ra's jump to any conclusions regarding her.

Besides, even if Dusan had written to Ra's, he would never mention who she was going to choose as her ally. And if that was the case then she could use the letter to her benefit.

"I have talked to him about it already," she replied confidently, "I felt I had convinced him but clearly that's not the case if he still wrote to you."

"And who is this dangerous ally?"

"I have not talked to him about an alliance yet," she remarked, that once her emerald eyes were the ones observing her father, "in fact, I wasn't too certain about him earlier but I have paid your words a lot of thought in the past few days. By now I feel like you are right and we do need Batman on our side"

"Oh..."

"His morals will come in the way but I have thought about that too," her emerald eyes flickered in a meaningful gleam, "I feel like I will be able to strike another deal with him." 

It seemed that Ra's had clearly not expected her to mention Batman as the ally in question.

"So you want to negotiate with him again even though you did it on your previous visit to Gotham as well."

She nodded, "the last time, I only negotiated him staying away from our matters but when I discussed it with you later, you told me there were other ways I could get his support. Therefore, I have been thinking about that thoroughly."

She was yet to find out why Ra's needed Batman on their side so much that his eyes held a certain gleam ever since the second she brought him up. But it worked in her favor so far thus she was complying with it.

"So you are intending to go to Gotham?"

"Only if you allow, Father."

Ra's pondered over her words, weighing out the pros and cons. If he sent Talia to Gotham and she made it her objective to win Batman's support, he would be able to achieve the target he had set his eyes on ever since the vigilante had started operating in Gotham under the guise of a Bat.

He knew Talia was cunning and once she set her mind on something, she achieved her goal at all costs. So if she was going to help him in receiving Batman's support, then that wasn't a bad choice after all.

"You have my permission, child," he spoke up at last, "you may leave for Gotham whenever you please."

A slight smile played upon her lips as she bowed her head in respect, "thank you. I promise I will not disappoint you."

"I know," he nodded right before dismissing her.

She stepped out of the Throne Room with a strange feeling coursing through her veins. She felt half triumphant already.

The queen on her chessboard had been set into motion and only time would tell what the consequences would be from the bold move that she was about to make.

***