Chapter Thirty: Familiar

Taylor's Point of View

Ten years.

I had gone ten years without contact from him. No calls, no emails, no texts, and I was grateful for it. I didn't want to talk to him. I had nothing I could even say to him, and there was nothing he could say to me. I didn't want to see him because I genuinely feared he would find a way to get me back into that bathroom.

I was terrified he would find a way to get a blade across my skin again. Only now, what was stopping him from keeping it to just my lower back? He had no reason to hide them anymore. Child Protective Services wouldn't come after him anymore and the police would only go after him if I pressed charges, which I wouldn't do.

I wouldn't do it because if for some reason he didn't go to jail for all the shit he put me through then he would for sure come after me. I couldn't handle that. Even with the protection of Matty, Chris, and Declan, I wouldn't survive his retaliation. 

"Taylor Reign, are you even listening to me?" He broke through my thoughts.

I blinked a few times to bring myself back to reality, "I am, sorry."

"Who the fuck did you talk to and what exactly did you tell them?" He fumed.

I did my best not to stammer over my words but I failed, "I...I don't know what you're talking about."

"Don't play stupid little girl. Who did you talk to about your scars?"

It was the first time he openly said anything about it. We never talked about what he had done to me, just about what he would do to me. I always thought it was because he felt remorse for what he had done, but as I got older I knew it was because he truly didn't give a shit.

"No..no one..." I stammered again, "I didn't tell anyone."

He laughed but it was one of those laughs you do when you know the person is lying, "No? Then explain to me who busted through the front door the other day and beat the shit out of me. I guess I should be thankful they had the decency to drop me off at the hospital. However, I'm walking out of here with a fractured eye socket, busted lip, and a broken nose. So clearly you told someone about our time together. Come home and see me. Now."

"I...I'm not coming." I attempt to stand my ground.

"I think you are because if you don't I'm going to come up to that little high-rise apartment you share with Madison Carbo and I am going to turn your bathroom into your own little slice of hell."

So he didn't know about me staying in the new apartment, "How did you..."

"How did I know about your apartment? I told you before you left me, Taylor, I know everything." He sighed as if talking to me tired him out, "Home. Now." He spat before hanging up.

I wasn't sure what to do. I should have told the guys about the phone call but I didn't want to interrupt their meeting. I guess this would have been a reason to use the code Chris gave me but when I pressed my ear to our adjoining door all I could hear was them yelling about things not being up for sale or something, so I changed my mind. I handled Greg for years without help, I could do it again. I grabbed my phone and purse and walked to the lobby.

"Hey Sophia, do you think you could do me a favor?" I hoped she would say yes even though we haven't been very kind to each other.

With a sigh, she agreed even though I could tell she didn't want to.

"Mr. Miller, Mr. Carbo, and Mr. Lynch are all in a meeting right now but my dad just called from the hospital and I have to go to him. Can you just tell them my dad was hurt and needed me to come home?" I know I sounded like I was begging her but I guess in a sense I was.