Chapter Thirty-Six: Espousals

Taylor's Point of View

I woke up alone and naked in Declan's bed. It was a Tuesday morning so if I had to guess the guys got up and went into the office. On any other day, I would have been pissed that they didn't make sure I was up to leave with them but today I didn't care. My head was still swimming with the idea of them being involved with the mafia. If I had missed that connection my whole life, what other things had I missed?

I rolled onto my back, welcoming the small sting from yesterday's cuts, and stretched as much as my body would allow. I took a moment to just breathe as I looked out the window. The sun was barely over some of the smaller buildings so it couldn't be too late into the morning. I could still make it into the office at a decent time if I got up now. Since I assumed I was the only one home I didn't bother going through Dec's closet to find something to wear.

As soon as I opened the bedroom door I could smell bacon and wondered if the guys had made themselves breakfast before leaving. I walked towards the kitchen in hopes of finding leftovers, but to my surprise, I found much more than that.

Declan was sitting at the island eating a full American breakfast. Chris was making pancakes on an electric griddle while Matty stood at the stove making eggs, bacon, and hashbrowns. All of them were dressed in sweatpants and tight t-shirts that made me want to lick my lips more than the smell of the food did.

Quickly swallowing his mouth full of food, Declan finally announced my arrival, "I thought watching you walk around here in shorts and crop tops was my favorite thing to see but this is a million times better, baby girl."

His remarks caused the other two gentlemen to turn to see me standing in the doorway. I crossed my arms under my breasts and let them stare at me. I had never been comfortable standing in front of a guy with my shirt off, let alone being completely naked, but having them look at me now felt empowering. They looked at me like I was something they couldn't live without. Like something worth worshiping.

Matty was to me first as Chris replaced him at the stove. He wrapped his arms around my waist and lifted me off the ground. With a giggle, I grabbed onto his neck and wrapped my legs around his waist. Without talking he walked into the bathroom connected to my room and placed me on the countertop. He turned to walk away from me but I pulled him closer to me with my legs and slammed my lips onto his. His hands held my jaw on either side of my face as his tongue swirled around mine.

He pulled away just far enough to separate our lips, "You know that I love you right? That you are the love of my life and I don't want to ever be without you? You do know all of that even though I haven't flat-out said it to you every day, right?"

I pushed against his chest slightly so he would back up. The second I saw his face I knew something else was going on, "Of course, I know all of that, and I love you too, but what is this really about?"

His head dropped slightly, "Last night, Chris said I haven't done enough to show you that I love you. He's not wrong, I have relied on you just knowing and believing it for far too long. I have done so much to protect you but you haven't seen any of it. Which I'm thankful for because it means I have done my job the right way. But that also means I haven't shown you." He stopped talking but instead of saying anything I just waited for him to continue, "The only problem is I don't know how to show it to you and I need to figure it out before I..." He stopped talking mid-sentence and looked away from me.

"Before you what Matty?" I asked with a shaky breath.

He gripped the back of his head with both hands as he took a couple of steps away from me. Matty had never been one to not tell me things. Sure I would shut him out when there were too many emotions going on, but I shut everyone out. It was unlike him to shut me out, especially when it concerned me.