2. The time moth's fluttered with Anticipation

"I know!" I huff, hanging my head back as the rain pelts down on the clear glass of the phone booth. It's a nasty cube located next to the garage, smelling of urine, and God only knows what. But I'm grateful nonetheless. Having to cancel my cell phone plan some time ago, deciding a roof over my head was more crucial had me resorting to the claustrophobic trap. "Mom, I know!" I bark, trying to keep calm.

"I thought we decided last weekend you would return to our home, and you'd come work for Dad and me. Why are you going back on your word? We could really use the help as we've taken on two more pharmacies," she adds. "You'd only pay a fraction of what you're currently paying for rent in the city, and we'd divvy up the grocery tab between us. As for the other utilities, we can sort all—"

"No." The word is frankly put as my mind swivels and teeters on what it needs to remain sane. After leaving the diner, I walked until my heels bled – literally. Taking in the liveliness, sounds, scents and people as I observed witnessed and smiled at all the hustle and bustle... and like everything else I've experienced in my life... it didn't fit.

Currently, I'm letting anyone and everyone decide how my life should proceed. If it weren't for Darrel and his preposterous ideas ultimately leading to my bank account's complete and utter drain, my life would continue the way it always had.

Tedious and lacklustre.

As horrible as it was to be misled, manipulated and recently cheated on, it was a learning experience that had me wallowing, craving the safe haven of my monotonous life, or at least that is what I thought until now.

"What do you mean no?" my father pipes up. "We agreed you'd try the city out, and when you saw how dangerous and improper it is for a person like you—"

"I'm leaving," I erratically nod as I watch Bob, the garage owner—and my landlord—finishing up with a customer. "I'll call you when I get settled."

"Jane? What-what has gotten into you?" my mother whisps out as I sigh. Here comes the waterworks.

"I love you both. I'll call you soon, I promise." I don't give them the chance to say another word before I'm plunking the receive back in its place. Retching opens the bi-folding door, I sprint through the open bay before its owner turns with a sheepish grin. "Hey, Bob. I was hoping you could help me out?" I begin as he pulls on his long dark beard. Built like a teddy bear, puggy and round, the cuteness stops short with the amount of ink covering practically every square inch of him – at least from what I can see.

"Your last month's rent is paid up until next week. The notice was just a reminder." I nod with a timid grin as I fish out the tips I had been saving from my purse. Handing him the stack of bills, he's apprehensive at first. "What's this?" He slowly reaches for it as I lower my eyes. Bob is great, but I know firsthand the dude is into some shady business. I'd rather pretend to be oblivious than calling any attention to myself. Honestly, I was surprised he rented the dive to me in the first place – being an outsider and all.

"$323." He laughs as if I'm joking before he counts it.

"What'cha do, rob a bank or something?" I look away, eyeing the motorcycles and souped-up vehicles he's currently working on. "Thanks, Janey. You can stay an extra week." He pats my head and begins to walk away.

"I appreciate it, but that's not what I need." He stops and turns in his filthy coveralls cradling his overly large beer belly. "I need a car." I grin as I nod to an old sedan tucked away in the corner as long as I've lived here – nearly two years. He looks at the faded blue Volvo 240 covered in dirt and dust.

"You drive stick?" No, but I nod nonetheless. "She's not the most reliable."

"I'll take my chances." I cut him off as he blows out a long breath before turning his chubby frame my way.