45. The time of Reanimation

Silas

The feeling of being suspended, weightless in a bottomless pit of ebony, is all I've comprehended for an unmeasurable amount of time. My wolf is dormant. My body is unresponsive. My mind—lacking in introspection and tactic. Besides the soundless darkness, nothing exists here.

I've been so careful. Well aware of the agony of the severing bond I hold with Jane and the stress I've continued to put it through, hunting my brother, knowing damn well that I was being led astray—but I couldn't just give up. At one point, I almost had my claws sunk deep into his back when Callum turned on me.

I was expecting it, as my continued mistrust never faltered after the battle at Fatality Fields for those closest to me. In fact, the last missing pieces of the puzzle were finally coming together due to their impatience. One-by-one, the picture of deceit and greed became unmistakably clear. 

Despite this, I underestimated Callum's unrelenting ability to manipulate not only Dante but me backhandedly—as well. I speculated early on he had his own agenda, making him increasingly impatient and antsy—along with Mira, it seemed. But I never thought he'd make his move on me until after I took my brother out. As a result, I misread the entire situation until it was too late.

He ambushed me when I was in a precarious situation. Dante had once again vanished while we were well up in the Renegade Mountain Range—thousands of kilometres west of Sweetwater. My once thought-loyal Beta sunk his Wolfbane-tainted claws into me, sending a surge of nerve-numbing sensation through my already irate, weakened wolf. 

It was then that all hell broke loose. I pulled on every last ounce of ire I could muster within me and fought. I took out shifters that had flanked my sides countless times in unavoidable battles to right our unbalanced, backassward, feral society. I looked each one in the eye as they tore through my flesh, proving their disloyalty before I snarled and angrily ended their lives. Callum ran like the little bitch he is as I finished wiping the north clean of the final traitors of my lands.

All the while, I was linking my huntsmen and faithful warriors, border control and high ranks throughout the north, letting them know that the final phase of this ongoing war is upon us.

After the battle at Fatality Feilds, I was too preoccupied with saving my mate to recognize at the time that my two closest allies were indeed my most significant threats. Thankfully after years of enduring stony lessons, I knew not to put all my eggs into one basket—despite loyalty. 

I had eyes and ears everywhere—both the northerners and allies from the south. It didn't take long to catch onto the Beta's and Delta's game they so carefully kept covered. It wasn't hard to do as I was fixated on others while they happily chirped their lyrics, ratting them out any chance they got, appearing nothing shy of faithful to me. But over time, certain events began to paint a different picture. As Dante was riding my coattails, they were riding his. All three whispered in my ear, advising me on my only frailty—Jane.

Here I thought that hiding my mate in her human birth zone would be the best option when really that was what they wanted. To separate us—or rather strain our bond. To kill us from the inside out. 

Once again, I had failed Jane and was too late. I was too weak. I had no choice but to flee and sanguinely recuperate by putting myself into a hibernation state. It's an ancient technique taught to me by the Lycan elders from the old world long ago. Only those of Lycan blood are capable of shutting down their entire beings, focusing on nothing but blackness until fully rejuvenated.

The problem is, I'm fated to another. I'm not only leaving her wide open for the taking but straining our connection even further by not visiting her in our shared dreams. It's been proven over the last several months that Jane is much stronger regarding our fated bond. I hadn't told her yet that Lunas have always had the edge over their Alpha. I can only hope that the people I've left in charge are with me—not against me. That my huntsmen will do as I requested and take out Mira and Callum well before they make their final move. That Dante remains captive in the north until I awake and end him the way I've planned.