42. The time when my final destiny was upon Me

Jane

"My goodness, Jane! Get that head of yours out of the clouds," Mom good-heartedly laughs as I continue to mop the same spot repeatedly at Carrington's Super Plus grocery store. Dawn is just about the break indicating another long night has ended. "You should get home and clean up for your morning shift at Arlene's." Taking the mop from me, she doesn't give me a chance to respond before continuing. "You're burning yourself out, Jane, and for what?" The icy lick to her tone has my back up slightly. "I really wish you'd see Doctor Faraday."

"He can't do anything for me, mom," I add while turning to tuck my water bottle into my bag.

"You don't know that, sweetheart. I'm sure—"

"No one can help me but me. ME!" I shout, losing what little patience I have left. I've been on pins and needles all night, despite preparing for this moment the best way I could, given my absolutely zero ability to head up the damn high-ranked, dangerous shifter that has finally found his way into my human zone. He's here, and now it's go time. The thought of facing him dead on is terrifying, but I'm left with no other option.

Mom's mouth drops as my father returns from loading the van with the last of our gear. "I'm sorry. I'm just a bit wound tight lately." Yeah, since this bloody nightmare began. "It's a good thing I'll be subletting to give you both a break from my constant erraticism," I weakly joke, trying to erase the outburst that has Mom's face dropping with panic that etches deep into her angelic features.

She looks at Dad as he, too, looks a bit ashen. I hate that I've purposely pretended that my life is great ever since being back in Carrington. That the stresses of Pineton are behind me, and I'm no longer on the verge of a mental breakdown—as I once proclaimed when I realized I'd been bitten and lost several months of memory. In all fairness, they're unaware of the mark on my neck. My diamond dimples are hidden ninety percent of the time despite the mass of freckles that work effectively to mask them.

Then again, my folk aren't paying that close attention to me—aside from their barking orders and making every goddamn decision for me as they once had. Like I once allowed. Now I do it to appease them. To keep them from questioning and digging into the cyclone of turmoil constantly cycling around inside my head.

It's odd, really. The evolution of relationships between children and parents once you leave home. Returning was never on my radar—despite what they wanted. And now that I have, I can tell that I'm a nuisance and a hindrance as much as they love me. They've adapted to their empty nest, only for me to come back and mess it all up—doing nothing but paying them grief with my presence daily. Hell, even I'm sick of feigning myself.

I need to end this, and my time to do so has finally fucking come.

"I should probably go," I pause before tugging on my coat. "I think it's best that I quit... my job with you guys, yeah?" Sniffing back my emotion, Dad opens his arms as I walk into his loving embrace.

"Funny you brought that up. Your mother and I were going to fire you but kept chickening out." I jerk back to catch the tiniest of grins. "You need to focus on what is going on with you and stop masking it, thinking you're doing us a favour, Jane. You're not, and we're far from stupid."

"Yep," I sheepishly state as Mom wraps her body around my back.

"It is crucial that you concentrate on yourself. Keeping your mind everywhere but where it needs to be will detrimental to your already weening health in the long run..." 

I know. 

"...Let us in so we can support you instead of putting up a front that everything is a-okay. We will help you find your way back to a time when you were happy and not some zombified workaholic that's zoned out most of the time."