15. The time I teased the wolf to the point of no Return

Jane

His sharp icy silver blues squint ever so slightly before he eyes me from head to toe and a slow, sweeping gaze. It should have me uncomfortable—blushing from his blatant look of heated want, but it doesn't. Like him, I knew the moment I laid eyes on the Alpha... we were mates. An incredible occurrence for my kin and his... fail to mention the royalty blood that also flows through his veins.

Perhaps that's been the problem all along. The unrealities of us actually being mated. Him – the most renowned shifter of the north. I, a mere human with little ambition or real direction in life. But I can't ignore the pull any longer. As much as I tried to fight it, running to hide from what this is and means—I can't. No amount of pleading or the repercussions that it will surely bring, let alone the dangers Silas keeps dancing around - will have the Alpha letting me go.

We are fated, biotic mates, as farfetched as it is. We found one another in the most unprecedented of ways and times. Fate has spoken...

...and it can never be altered—unless...

Pulling on a long-forgotten lesson, our souls have begun to connect slowly and will fuse the moment we mate. The sheer thought sends a wave of heated pricks coursing along my flesh, leaving goosebumps in their wake. My core tightens, and my breathing hitches as he continues to watch me with a ghost of a grin plastered across his devilish lips.

"Come here." The demand is heady, dominate making me hotter. "If I come to you, you'll not leave this bath a virgin, Jane." The potency behind his word has me contemplating a second too long before I feel the grasp on my thighs as he pulls me to straddle his. With his manhood poking my rounded belly, he smirks, exposing his canines, making me smile more. "Don't tease a wolf as needy as mine."

"Been denying him, have you?" The atmosphere instantly shifts as I wiggle closer, pushing his cock up between us. His knees rise, tipping me closer as his hands lay against the tub's rim, clutching its sides as mine journey along his heated flesh... outlining his muscles' many dips and peaks.

"I've been celibate for some time." He grits out, throwing his head back, exposing his thick neck to me—trust at its finest.

"Was it because you were grieving?" I push, still incredibly unsure and baffled when it comes to Reeva. No matter which way the Alpha slices it, the truth remains, he allowed her into his life on a level only his true mate should have been. Announcing her as his Luna—why? A shiver of nausea runs through my being as his lips twitch ever so slightly.

Adjusting on his lap, I rise to my knees to see his face while keeping my hands busy memorizing his every detail. Perfection lay under every stroke as firework serge up my fingertips and arms, rewarding me with a buzz of anticipation.

"No," he moans as I smile. "I know how it looks, my sweet Jane, but I assure you, Reeva was nothing more than a pawn in a fucked-up game that is about to end."

"But you let your people believe she was your Luna," the sheer statement has me whimpering. His left hand suddenly splays across my back, soothing me instantly. "Isn't that lying, Alpha?" the moan from his touch has my heart beginning to race with a newfound want and need, despite the commentary.

His brilliant eyes lower to mine, along with one hell of a salacious grin. "I did what I had to do for my people's welfare, Jane. Part of being a decisive leader is sacrifice and tolerance. They play hand-in-hand in most of my decisions, and because of that, I am where I am today. There will always be some self-righteous assholes who are too inept to realize it. They make unwise choices or think they're pulling their wool over my eyes when it's impossible. I'm always two steps ahead." His nonchalant tone has me smiling more.