47. The time hurdles turned to Squalls

Jane

'"Fuck off, you assholes! This isn't real!" I scream while continuing to thrash about. The cold water hitting my face has my eyes wide open, and sitting up in startled shock as my chest pants with confusion. My eyes land on Lanny's, looking ashen and guilty with the empty tumbler in his hand. Throwing my arms around his neck, I'm careful not the touch his flesh with mine. "Thank you." The faintness of my breath and voice has me on high alert.

I'm weak and in a whirl of pain like never before. I hurt everywhere, and yet I feel entirely numb simultaneously. It's the most bizarre feeling to date. Lannister holds me softly as my eyes squeeze tightly, expelling a fresh dose of tears. "We got you," his calming tone has me moistening my trembling lips as I sit back. "Jane?" worried shock has me swiping at my cheeks, noticing the crimson.

"It's okay," I answer, looking around at the pitiful stares. Since I was last awake, Sarah and Yanick have paled a few shades with what I believe to be dread. "I'll be better if you tell me we're almost in Sweetwater." I wince with discomfort when sitting all the way up. From the looks of it, we're still high up in the white sky, presently aboard one hell of a snazzy private jet.

It's not overly large, as Alpha Malikite and a few other—warriors—crowd the rest of the available seats, but every bit luxurious as one can imagine. Inhaling the faintest scent of Dante tells me this vessel belongs to Silas... the thought makes me inwardly smile.

"We've been rerouted to Appleton, Luna Jane," the Alpha responds, looking quite pasty. Shifters hate to fly, swim and even drive—avoiding it at any cost. They prefer to have their feet and paws planted firmly on the ground. Otherwise, they feel their circumstances are beyond their control—which they are when you think about the wonders of the sky, sea and vehicular speed. "A brutal storm is plaguing the north and causing a bit of an issue. We've been advised to land—"

"Whereas I appreciate your concern, Alpha Malikite, Sweetwater has a private airfield reserved just for mucky-mucky to live it up." In the months I've been separated from Silas, I have memorized every aspect of the north. From its amenities and functionalities of the towns, reserves and human zones to the northerner people and populations, including the high-ranked shifters and human mayors. I studied everything about the north, down to the weather, throughways and mountain ranges. 

"I need to land there. If the storm is as bad as they say, I would never make it in time if I were to travel by car." Swallowing, my throat feels incredibly tight and swollen, making it hard to speak, let alone breathe. "My mate is on the verge—" he suddenly stands, nodding his show of respect and understanding.

"Enough said. I will have the aviator radio in your request Luna of the North." With a tiny grin and nod of my own, he leaves to address my want as a human flight attendant passes me a warm, dampened towel to wipe the water and blood from my face. With trembling hands, I take it with another tight grin. He nods, lowering his eyes.

"Jane?" I turn to my trio of friends, almost forgetting they were with me.

"What did you tell my parents?" Sponging up the liquid, I chuck the stained towel next to me, where a cup of steaming green tea awaits my lips. Lanny smiles, but it doesn't reach his eyes.

"You texted them, deciding to be spontaneous, making a mini-getaway to do some ice fishing on Lake Simcoe—with us in tow." I actually laugh as he and Yanick join me, but not Sarah. She moves closer, adjusting my seat to an upright position before checking my vitals and jabbing me with a needle to the top of my right arm. Giving her the side eye, she winks, making me lean my head toward hers, grateful she and the others are with me. There is no need to ask what she's giving me. I trust her and the other two with my life.