22. The time I began to see this world as it truly Is

Jane

Gamma Bergin is an odd fella. Still as large and muscular as any other Gamma I've come in contact with since arriving in Blood Moon territory. But Bergin is old. Very old. His youthful looks are beginning to fade as he tells me he will be meeting his Creator soon. That his calling has come, and he will be ending his life here on earth within the next few years.

At first, I thought he had some sort of dementia. It's prevalent among the human elderly to experience a loss of memories or confusion. But no. Bergin is adamant that his time has come. That all shifters eventually leave this earth. Some sooner than others, depending on their destined path. I thought it was interesting his wording: his wisdom and the brilliant shine of his green eyes.

"So, shifters are not immortal?" I question while balancing my clipboard on my crossed legs. Silas briefly touched on the subject of immortality but never did elaborate due to our short-winded conversations that always went nowhere. With the camera level with my left shoulder, I can quickly adjust when needed, like now. The burly man hooks his ankle onto his knee and leans to the side in the wide wingback chair I have him sitting in.

"No." He smiles freely. Even his voice is viral and youthful despite his nearing two-hundred-year-old birthday. It blows my mind to think this man, this shifter, is that old and yet could easily pass as my big brother. "It's a myth. Us shifters are proud yet cautious of any predators that pose a threat to our kind."

"Humans are a threat?" I challenge, causing him to chuckle, and I smile. Even though I had reservations and thought it would be a waste of my time interviewing this species, I was wrong. It's informative, and if all my interviewees are as charismatic and friendly as Bergin, then I'm in for a treat.

"Of course." I laugh again as I scribble his answer. "You have to remember that we shifters have evolved over time." My eyes move to link with his. "Just like your species has."

"I'm not sure about that. Your kin has the upper hand regarding land, intelligence, immeasurable strength and let's not forget the infamous miasma." He chuckles again. "We humans live a fraction of the time in designated zones, your kin have corralled us into," he smirks and nods, "and lack in self-healing. Christ," I add, "we can literally die at your hand with little effort, and we are supposed to be a threat?" I mocking laugh.

"You're rhyming off all the things you have no control over, Janey." He opens his massive hands with another easy grin. "Every species has a predator. It is not us who are your predator, as it is not you who are ours." Uh, okay—most certainly not the latter. As for them not preying on us, that's laughable. "However," he smiles, that charming grin of his, "you are still a threat. Take your scent, for instance," he smirks with a shrug, "it could be very inciting to a shifter, making them act erratically."

Interesting choice of words. Testing the waters, I smirk with a cocked brow.

"Like a mate." He wholeheartedly laughs as I wait.

"Not necessarily. It's practically implausible for a shifter and a human to have an authentic mate calling." He becomes pensive and serious. "In all my years on this earth, I've never seen it." I nod and lower my head to make a few notes. "Probably because they can't conceive, amongst other things."

"What things?"

"Well, for one, they'd never be able to mind-link with one another."

"Can only mates mind-link?" I question for the fuck-of-it, as he smiles, shaking his head. "Really?" I thought Silas said he couldn't read minds... "All packmates can communicate through the link. However, there are limitations when it comes to distance and tribes."