7. The time the alpha showed his true Colours

Jane

Mentally, with my head lowered in thought, I rattle it, constantly searching for any remnant of information pertaining to High Court hearings. Shifter law operates quite differently from human proceedings. Where we allow both parties – the defendant and prosecutor – to have their say in front of a judge here in High Court is not the same. The Alpha asks the questions, and you answer—period.

"All stand and bow for the Honourable Alpha Silas." Before my eyes can even rise, my senses engulf with the most delectable scent imaginable. I've been scenting him for a while, but now there are no boundaries between us; it's nothing shy of sinful decadency.

Pushing my body to a standing position, my eyes remain cast low as I tip slightly forward until I hear the familiar growl from last night. Looking up through my lashes, I catch the tiniest hint of a smirk on Alpha's lips as he stares directly at me.

"You may be seated – aside from the accused." The court mediator recants as the room settles. "Straighten and face my Alpha." God, I feel like a child in kindergarten. But considering the Alpha holds all my cards at the moment, I have no choice but to comply.

As I imagined, the top level was reserved for the almighty shifter who glares down at us. His sights scanning the humans lined up next to me with intrigue and ponderance. Meanwhile, mine are glued to his every feature. Somehow in the light of day, fully clothed in a custom-cut business suit moulding to his implausible Godlike form, he appears more menacing.

Clearly, seeing his facial features is nothing less than spellbinding. His glorious shiny onyx-hued hair is pulled back on top and braided and twisted into various styles, shaven to the perfect fade down the sides and back. He's of Indigenous descent – there is no denying it with the inky black tones of his mane and dark brows and long lashes—that and the fact that his skin is a deep golden tan as well... a sheer giveaway.

He's magnificent.

"Let today's proceedings begin." The court's moderator loudly voices. "You, the accused, have committed misconduct here on Blood Moon territory... within the boundaries of the Sweetwater township. All acts will be heard, and our almighty Alpha will decide upon punishment, fines and/or detainment." The shifter with short, cropped blond hair speaks. His authority is present, but his undertone of compassion rings brashly as well. "My Alpha?" all eyes turn to the shifter oozing with power, only to find him sullen with a look of aloofness.

"Thank you, Crown Marley." He looks over at an elderly couple, squinting his glowing silvery blue eyes. All Alphas I've learnt about had blue eyes - never really varying in the shade as they were all cut from the same cloth long ago. But not Silas - his are so different with that lick of molten silver adding intensity and fire to his already brooding appearance.

"Mr. and Mrs. Fairweather, step forward to the podium." His gravelly voice travels down my spine, coiling with unwanted delight into my core. I catch the hint of a grin as his eyes shift to mine and his nostrils flare on his broad, straight nose. He lowers his eyes, presumably to read off the pages in front of him. "I hope my people have been treating you fairly," he begins as he continues to scan the now-lifted document.

"Yes, my Alpha Silas. Very well." He nods as he lowers the sheet. "Thank you for refuge from the Rogues. Otherwise, we wouldn't have survived the attack on our cabin." Silas leans back, steepling his long fingers in thought. He hums and nods with a pensive look.

"Your cabin lies within the Doranton Reserve up along Highway 87 or otherwise known to the locales as Deathwish Drive," he flicks his eyes toward the room as many chuckle. It's the deadly road that lies between the mountains... the one I swore I was on when I ended up here.

Jane |18+| ✔️On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara