19. The time when life took a turn for the Worse

Jane

"My Luna, wake." The tone is urgent as I grumble my irritants. I want – no, need sleep. I ache everywhere—throbbing with unsullied pain from my innermost secret of areas to my hips and pelvis spreading to my head. My body is humming, pleading for relief only slumber will cure. "Janey, love, please." His voice and kiss on my parched lips have my brows furrowing before my eyes slightly crack open, only to be met by the most handsome being I've ever laid eyes on.

"I need sleep, Silas," the plea is weak and barely above a whisper.

"I know little one. But my Gammas will be here any moment." That gets my attention as my swollen eyes from crying – both from pleasure and pain – open. "Remember," he scorns lowly while fingering a fallen tousle of hair from my face, "my actions and words toward you hold no weight." Right. "Not in public. Not in front of those who may be deemed dangerous and untrustworthy, understand?"

"Yes," I muster out of a parched throat after all the screaming from earlier. The Alpha reaches for a tall glass filled with red liquid. Taking it, I sniff and smile when the scent of cranberry fills my senses. Taking several refreshing gulps, my eyes don't leave his as he studies my every feature. "I have more questions..." his head cocks as his hand rises to silence me.

"They're here." He suddenly stands, revealing his jean-clad bottoms with the top button left undone. "Put that on," he nods to a robe very reminiscent of the cloak he wrapped the Barkly sister in. Sliding off the bed, I whimper in further pain. "Jane?" he's beside me instantly but reframes from touching me.

"I'm good," I croak out while swinging the velvety fabric on before the front door opens. I instinctively reach out to him as he turns to greet the Gammas, who will ultimately take me away to God only knows where. His silvery blues meet mine just as I mouth, 'I love you, too.' His usual stoic expression melts away before the press of his lips meets mine for a split moment.

Stepping back from me, his stance stiffens as his eyes harden. "The human is up here," my brows furrow before I spot the ginormous beings bolting up the stairs. Six in total as I eye each one of them. Four male, two female. All reminiscent of each other and oozing with confidence and intimidation. "Take her to Rogard. The end unit."

"Rogard?" I question as his dark snarl stabs me with invisible pain, adding to my already blistering discomfort. "What is Rogard?"

"How dare you question my Alpha," a female with sharp green eyes barks while taking a step forward, only for me to stumble over my own feet, landing myself on my ass. The others laugh, aside from Silas, who's oozing with confliction. One pleading look from me has him baring his teeth and resetting his resolve.

"Enough. I'm bored and want her gone," Silas sniffs while looking away. "You came and played with the big, bad wolf. Now be gone, human." The words slice through me as my heart bleeds. With my upper arm grasped, I'm literally yanked from the ground and carried down the stairs and out the door without another word or look.

The grey hue of the promising new day hovers over the atmosphere as the crunch of the pebble stone break underfoot. Muttering is happening all around me, but I hear nothing. My thoughts completely lost and focused on Silas and what is to follow. What the hell was I thinking? I'm nothing compared to these beasts. Just a meagre human in a world polluted with mistrust and power-hungry assholes—dangerous power-hungry assholes.

I'm shoved into the backseat of an SUV before being smashed between the two female Gammas. With my sights planted on the floor, I hear the females' sniffs and growls. Jealousy and hatred waffle through the cab as the front doors open and close before the large vehicle is put into motion. No one speaks as we head in the direction away from Sweetwater. Curiosity piques my attention, but not enough to look. I need to keep up the pretence that I was just used as a squeeze toy and discarded by their Alpha. It's not that hard to do, considering I'm Jane, after all.