27. The time the beginning of the end Ensued

"What? No! How can you say that?" she stabs me with hurtful eyes—time to pour it on thick.

"I can't help it," I turn away, moving toward the open window to escape her stench. "The sadness that displays across your face every time you speak of your time with the Hellbound Pack. The pain I feel when you mention Falcona. It's as if," I turn my glossy eyes on hers, "you've chosen her over your fated mate," I add as she scrambles for words. I know her so well.

"She freed me when I began remembering who I was and where I belong. You'll see when you meet her tomorrow night at dinner. She's fair and kind. She wants nothing more than to be allies once again." Smirking inwardly, I doubt that very much. Nodding, I sniff as she runs into my opening arms. We both stiffen before I embrace her while the excruciating tremors shake my core atrociously. She pulls back first and smiles up at me. "She misses you and wants to make amends Si."

"She threw a tantrum, Reeva, killing five numerous innocent shifters and humans that was unnecessary to make her point," I correct. "Her territory was on the verge of civil war under her father's rule. I simply did what I always do, I stepped in and saved our kin – taking out the bad seeds. Falcona expected to become Alpha once I slaughtered her father, but that is not how it works. Had she been patient, I would have trained her, tested her and, when deemed ready, ranked her. She was impatient and impulsive."

"She's grown and matured. You will see." I can't help but want to end this loop of a conversation we continue to have. Nine weeks and all I've heard was how awesome Falcona is. Truth be told, I can't fucking wait to be in her presence again. It's been a long time, and I'd really like to see how much she's actually grown and matured.

"Of course, darling," I move to my desk, seeking the fresh summer air. "Will you dispose of the human once you give her a tour? I have a business to attend to." I lower my eyes to the mountain of paperwork. Meanwhile, I'm linking with many trustworthy allies from my other vanquished packs.

"Yes, of course," Reeva obliges, perching on the corner of my desk. "I have a million things to do concerning the Ball," her smile is filled with mischief—and not in a good way. "Perhaps the human can fare useful in other ways." My eyes lock with hers. She's baiting, wanting a reaction. Too bad she's not about to get one. "She can help with the final setup, seeing we are shorthanded." Only because you lost your shit on the Omegasagain. I excused them, giving them tasks to do in town to keep them out of Reeva's grasp and belittling path.

"Whatever you want," I answer indifferently, reaching for my mobile. Presently, I'm linking my Gamma to move Jane to the grand hall. "She's in the hall sizing up the area where she'll hold her impromptu meet and greets." Of course, the idea is to gather more info regarding Reeva's return, videoing their reactions. Reeva wanted it to be all about her and the love of her people. The truth—Jane has impressive intuition when looking at things from a completely different perspective.

I want my little one to point out the potential threats and see if we land on the same page. Her synopsis and added questioning, even the way she pulls the information from the shifters I've sent her way, is fascinating. Her shorthand can appear somewhat cryptic when reading about specific individuals, but blatantly clear to me. We have our own language without the need for words or the ability to mind-link. We don't need them. There are many ways in which we communicate... "Did you hear me?" I blink with an easy grin.

"Sorry, Callum is causing shit again," I lie. He really isn't, but Reeva despises the young Beta, always has. She huffs and rolls her eyes. "What were you saying, darling?" With her phone in her hand, she frowns.

"Agatha needs me to meet her in Pepperton Heights. There's an issue with my dress." How convenient. Nodding, I place my stepped fingers to my lips as I sit back in my desk chair, needing once again to escape her stench.