1

It was a unusually cold day in North Carolina. It was not the easiest time of the year for the winter athletes. Coming from hard practices and stepping into the cool air was never easy. Not everyday was cold for North Carolina though, just today was a low of 40 degrees. Meanwhile, as it was cold outside, it was warm inside. The gym that is. The Duke University Woman's basketball team was hard at work. Lauren, was working hard at the defensive drill the team was running. As a freshman this year she was determined to ear her spot as the sixth man on the team. She knew the starting line up consisted of juniors and seniors and she was fine with that.

"Jauregui!" Lauren glanced over at the coach and was motioned over. She jogged to the sideline.

"Fill these bottles up for the team. Quickly." She demanded.

"But coach, the dri-" Lauren was cut off by Coach Kesler huffing.

"Shut up and fill the bottles up, don't give me lip now move!" Coach Kesler spat at Lauren shoving the bottle rack into her hands. Lauren sighed and jogged over to the water tank. She opened the tops of each bottle and started filling up the bottles. She watched as Keana, another freshman, ran the drill she was just participating in. This is the third time Coach Kesler picked Lauren out to do something stupid. Last week it was getting new towels. The week before filling the basketballs with air. Lauren was starting to get her spot as team manager and a point guard mixed up. Lauren felt her foot get wet and looked down.

"Oh shit." She mumbled noticing the bottle over flowing. She set the bottle down and turned to get and towel accidently knocking the bottle over and slipping on the water. The noise of her falling on her back caught everyone's attention.

"Wow, she can't make a layup and she's incapable of filling up bottles. Woohoo to our rookie." Jessica teased causing the whole team to laugh. Keana shot Lauren a sympathetic look, and rushed to help her up.

"Issartel, get your ass back on the court. Everyone run a lap, you too clumsy." Coach Kesler grumbled looking at the soaking wet rookie. Lauren hung her head and joined the team in the lap.

"Way to go, you got us a lap. You're a dumbass." Jessica mumbled shoulder bumping Lauren. The boys basketball team walked into the gym the cheerleaders following them. Lauren kept her head down as her sneakers squeaked due to the wet soles. Lauren wasn't one to cry. She stopped being able to, when she was about fourteen. She has no emotions. Well, none but embarrassment and oddly love. She fell hard for anything that was extremely beautiful. People, paintings, music you name it. She loved hard and she figured it was a bad habit of hers.

"Lady's bring it in, Jauregui, Issartel, clean up the water." Coach spoke. Lauren walked to the puddle and grabbed a towel.

"I hate her." Keana mumbled. Lauren simple shrugged wiping the water up.

"I should be the one saying that, I haven't finished a full practice with you guys yet. I don't know what I'm doing wrong Ke, and every time I go and try to talk to her, she says the same old, "once you improve, you'll stop doing rookie stuff." I don't know what the hell she wants from me. Don't tell anyone this but, I've been practicing with the guys, that's only because Coach Hugely lets me participate. Wouldn't you think I've gotten better from working with the boys? And I can make a goddamn layup." Lauren finished her rant.

"Maybe you're pushing yourself too hard...do you really think practicing with the boys team is going to do anything?" Keana asked concerned. The two girls had been friends since Miami. High school friends and went to cochella together. Keana was like a sister to Lauren and couldn't stand seeing her "sister" in such a distressed mood.

"I don't think I'm pushing myself "too hard"." Lauren used finger quotes as she stood up. Keana followed her. The walked towards the locker room, Keana put a hand on Lauren's shoulder to stop her.