6

"How do you do it?" Camila asked watching Lauren shoot each ball perfectly that Austin passed to her. Lauren shrugged and shot the next ball. Austin got the rebound and walked over to her handing over the balls to her.

"Ready?" Lauren asked standing on the base line looking at Austin.

"Yeah, let's go." He spoke looking at Lauren. The point guard threw him the ball and be shot it missing. She threw the other one shot it missing again. She threw his rebound he threw it up and it banked in. Lauren threw him the other ball and it hit the rim and bounced out. Lauren grabbed the ball and looked at him.

"Austin what's going on man?" Lauren asked looking at him. He sighed and walked over to the bench where his bag was. He grabbed his bottle and towel and walked out the gym. Lauren walked to Camila and sat down beside her.

"Do you know what's going on with him?" Lauren asked softly.

"Yeah, uh he got a call, his moms cancer is back. He's just really messed up about it. Because it's in the middle of a term and the seasons soon. He'll be able to see her Christmas break but that's so far away from now." Camila sighed resting her head on Lauren's shoulder.

"I'm so afraid of getting a call like that. Wether it's for my mom or dad. Just knowing something as cynical or negative as that happened or is happening...it's just scary babe." Lauren sighed. She felt for the kid. She really did. It's not easy not knowing how your parents are doing while you're away wether you're close to them or not. It's hard. Lauren's phone rang and she pulled it out.

"It's Normani hold on." Lauren spoke standing up and walked a little ways. "Hey Mani what's up?"

"Lauren..." Normani's voice was a little shaky. She didn't want to lay this on the girl.

"Are you ok?" Lauren asked.

"Uh...you should sit down before I tell you, only if you're standing up though..." Normani sighed. Lauren sat on the floor by the wall and chuckled.

"Ok what Mani?"

"Uh, Lauren my dads obviously a cop, and is back in Miami. But uh, you know how before winter the cops do a patrol of Miami just to see if they find a few homeless people straggling along to get them into a home?" Normani asked gently.

"Yeah, my dad used to do that, until he quit his job and stuff." Lauren shrugged, she glanced at Camila who was picking at her nails, causing Lauren to smile. It was one small thing Lauren though was cute. It was good to do but it's a bad habit Lauren wants to help her break.

"Well, my dad was on that patrol last week and, he said he ran into your dad...Lauren uh, your dads in a uh...Lauren your father lost everything." Normani sighed. Lauren's blood began to boil slightly.

"What?!" The green eyed girl snapped quietly.

"Lauren I'm sorry..." Normani sighed.

"I swear when I see my mom again I'm gonna, oh my fucking god this is her fault. If she wasn't such a bitch to me and my dad he'd still be living at home! For god sakes. What else is my sister dying? Is my mom sick? Most important, is the driver of that damn car dead or in jail?!" Lauren asked harshly under her breath.

"Actually they have some leads to the driver but, they aren't sure yet." Normani sighed on the other line. "Lauren, promise me, you'll keep your cool...my dads going to give you all your fathers contact and he's going to convince your mother on letting him live with her again. Please, I've said too much already just please keep cool."

"I don't want my dads contact information. Nor do I want him staying with my mom..." Lauren sighed. She knew if her dad went back under than roof his life would be hell.