the way of water

---••----•----••----•----••----•----••----•----••----•--

"When you are in the water, focus on what you are doing, not how long you hold your breath" Te'rani explained.

"Focus on what you see, what you will do, and then the breath hold will come naturally...you won't even realize how long its been"

"But while you practice now, just imagine an image....a calming image. It could be the forest, it could be the ocean, it could be Eywa, maybe even your family"

Neytiri listened intently to what Te'rani said. It was no doubt that she was a really good teacher. She was truly passionate about the world around her.

"And just stay calm no matter what...if you feel like you're loosing breath, remember, this is just practice, you can just start again"

Neytiri nodded. "Okay"

"Now...breathe in, from here" Te'rani held her own stomach and demonstrated.

Neytiri closed her eyes and took a deep breath in.

They were sitting on a rock above the water, very close to the beach.

"Calm your mind" Te'rani spoke in a calm and slow voice.

"Mawe" She said in Na'vi.

Silence took over them as Neytiri began to hold her breath and Te'rani watched her.

Te'rani knew she was supposed to be watching her breathing, but she was too busy watching the number of stripes on Neytiri's face.

She was taken out of her thoughts when the voice of a little girl was heard.

"Mom!" Neytiri's eyes snapped open and Te'rani turned to see where the voice came from.

Behind them, in the water, Tuk and Kiri were on an ilu.

Tuk waved to Neytiri and Te'rani, who smiled at her.

"Tuk" Neytiri said with a smile.

Kiri stopped the ilu close enough to the rock and motioned 'I see you' to Te'rani.

Te'rani noticed that didn't seem to be in a good mood. She frowned a little.

"Mom, come with us!" Tuk spoke.

Kiri got off of the ilu.

"I'm gonna head in for today" She said. Neytiri watched her daughter with a sad expression.

She turned to Te'rani.

"Go with her, we can catch up tomorrow" Te'rani said to Neytiri with a smile.

Neytiri couldn't really hide her disappointment. She was just getting close to starting a breath hold practice. Unexpectedly, it was actually really enjoyable to learn the way of water from Te'rani.

Neytiri opened her mouth to say something, but Te'rani assured her before she let any words out of her mouth.

"But I will not spare you tomorrow, you have a lot to learn" she said in a jokingly stern manner. Neytiri chuckled and nodded before watching her turn and leave.

Te'rani watched Kiri was she walked away on the beach slowly. She decided that she should introduce herself to the girl and maybe try to make her feel better.

Once she caught up with her, Te'rani began speaking.

"Hey"

Kiri turned to see the source of the noise, and flashed her a forced smile.