Ta'la

It's crazy how the sound of a cry can give so much relief. All emotions can fade away with a single wail.

It was doing so right now.

The second Te'rani saw her newborn niece in the elder's arms, she swore her mind went blank.

Mountains of sadness turned into a breeze of peaceful air.

Her face was stained in sweat and tears, her knees hurt from being bent down in the same spot for so long, her hand finally felt blood rushing back to it after being gripped by her sister. But Oh Eywa, was it all worth it.

Nothing else mattered. Nothing else but the crying baby in her brother in law's arms.

Te'rani stared at her. No emotion showing on her face. Her eyes were red, her ears up and listening.

It felt like a dream.

Tonowari cradled the baby in his arms, making her calm down a little before he carefully handed Ronal her new daughter.

Her hand was far bigger than the baby's head. She let it rest on her palm as she took deep breaths. She acted as if all the pain and agony she was feeling just a minute ago meant nothing.

Because it really didn't. Not anymore.

Te'rani watched the baby begin to close her eyes, letting out smaller cries and finally calming down. Her hands curled and opened, looking for something to hold before finding her mother's chin.

A tear rolled down Ronal's cheek and fell on her daughter.

Te'rani's mouth felt dry. She just stared, not even noticing Tsireya and Ao'nung entering the room slowly.

She only snapped out of her daze when someone held her shoulders.

Te'rani glanced back for a split second, seeing Rina whisper her something she didn't have the attention to hear.

Te'rani was overwhelmed with relief.
She couldn't bring herself to look away.
She knew what Rina would say without having to hear.

"Praise Eywa, the girl is healthy"

The baby wouldn't stop crying.
And what a blessing that was.

"Ta'la"

Days flew by faster than the evening breeze. Ta'la's first breath ceremony took place the very night she was born.

She was by far the most adorable baby the village had seen, and she earned this title at only three days old.

Within the next week, the tulkun had left to embark on another journey across the oceans to teach their calves how to survive in the depths.

Ronal and Te'rani's fight was forgotten about quickly - as most sisterly disputes are. Te'rani spent her days and nights at her sister's marui, spending all her time waiting to hold Ta'la in her arms as many times as she could.

The birth of Ta'la brought peace and joy back into the village. It brought hope.
Because the only thing more inevitable than death itself, was life.

But even in that bliss there was trouble.

Neytiri knew that she had to leave. Because she loved Te'rani, because she cared about the Tulkun, because she cared about her children's friends, because she cared for Ta'la, she had to go.