family

Te'rani blinked open her eyes. It was sunny outside. She looked around. She was in a marui. But not her's.

Turning, she realized Neytiri and Tuk were next to her, fast asleep. Neytiri's wounds had closed. They were healing. Her hand was held by Tuk as they slept.

Memories of the fight rushed into Te'rani's head.

She sighed softly and sat up. She touched her forehead and felt a closing bruise above her brow. Ronal had patched them up.

Te'rani stood up and saw the kids except Lo'ak sleeping, their wounds and cuts covered as well.

She turned, taking the curtains of the marui out of the way for herself to pass. Everyone else was sitting in their respective marui, treating eachothers wounds or crying, mourning for the ones they lost in the fight.

She walked past the numerous empty marui, her eyes sad for the once warm and welcoming aura they lost. As she kept her gaze low, She finally noticed a house with just one young child. A boy. He sat facing the reef, crying softly.

Te'rani stopped in her tracks.

She remembered a time in her life, eerily familiar to what she saw infront of her now. She used to be a child who lost her parents to the sky people. She used to look to the reef when she missed them. She was just a kid.

He is just a kid.

This is what the sky people did. They tore families apart.

Te'rani saw another child older than the boy come and sit next to him. The girl placed a hand around his shoulder, and let him lean on her as he cried.

They might have exchanged some words to eachother in that moment, but Te'rani couldn't hear it. Her eyes were wide with sorrow. Her parents, Roa, innocent metkayina. They were gone. Tears stung her eyes.

She turned swiftly, walking away as a tear spilled down her cheek. She looked down, ashamed of it. She had to see Mao.

_________________________________________

Lo'ak listened to the waves. He sat on the shore of a rather cut off side of the island, where no one could interrupt him.

The sunset was beginning its journey. The waves sounded so...calming. they were constant. They kept coming.

His ears caught the sound of something else. Footsteps. But he felt he had a pretty good idea on whose it was.

Tsireya frowned when she finally found him all alone. But she stayed quiet. Her feet brought her right behind him. He was sitting on the sand, only his toes eventually being touched by the waves. His knees were hugged by his hands, and his hair was left open.

A loud wail was heard. That only a tulkun could make. Tsireya understood what kept Lo'ak so silent. He was the only one listening to the tulkun sorrow.

Tsireya considered saying something, but she didn't. Instead she just sat down beside him. He looked at her for a moment, sadness in his eyes. When she stared back, he looked again at the purple ocean. A tulkun exhaling breath and going back into the water.

She had sat close enough to him for their shoulders to touch. A small connection which was enough for both of them to understand. It was like a silent "I am here. I am here for you".

Slowly, she layed her head on his shoulder.

_________________________________________

The sun was setting. Te'rani had been missing to find her missing spirit brother. She knew Mao wouldn't leave to herd with the other Tulkun. They had to stay close to or inside the reef to be safe.