community

Te'rani walked on the beach, a basket of fish in her hand. She had done a relatively good job waking up early this morning to hunt more.

She was thinking about giving most of it to her neighbors, saving a fish or two for herself and Tsireya, who she would have breakfast with.

She smiled to herself, thinking of all those things as she walked to the place where marui began.

Then suddenly someone placed their hand around her shoulder. Te'rani wasn't too shocked, only a little flinch was made by her body, which subsided immediately after seeing that it was her friend, Aa'pau.

"Who's that for?" He asked, eyeing he fish.

"No hello, how are you, sorry for not talking to you for the past three days?" Te'rani asked, raising an eye brow, even though she knew he was bound to be busy.

He removed his hand from her shoulder and sighed. "Te'rani, you're my best friend. You're like a sister to me-" he began.

"Don't sweet me up, I know you are too lazy to fish for yourself today" she cut off as they walked on the bouncy path, the area getting louder as other people's conversations merged.

Aa'pau groaned. "Please, I can't feel my right hand!" He wiggled his arm beside her.

"I had to help Paa'kat kill his first Akula and I hit a coral" Aa'pau complained.

"Is the coral okay?" Te'rani asked with a straight face, not having to look at him to know his jaw dropped.

"Also I thought you were a grown man, how come Paa'kat came home with a simple scratch and your hand is broken?" She added for good measure. This was just too fun.

"Cut me some slack, 'Rani. Let a man eat" He said.

Te'rani mived her basket to her side, away from his grasp.

She saw her neighbor's son, 'Fpe'ut, a young and wild boy run towards her and grab a fish from the basket, jolting away with laughter.

Te'rani let this happen, turning to see him run past with a small laugh.

"You're going to let him take it but not me?" Aa'pau asked, offended.

Te'rani hissed slightly. "It was meant for him and his parents, there's enough for all of us" she said as they reached the entrance of their marui.

Fpe'yu's mother, Kuna't saw them and stood up while folding a mat.

"Te'rani, Aa'pau! I see you" She motioned.

The two friends greeted her back. Te'rani lifted the basket in her hand and smiled. "For you and your husband" she said.

Kuna't looked at E'rani, a smile stretching on her face. "Thank you sister" she said. Her mate, Swo'tu came from behind her, hearing his wife talking. The couple were next door neighbors of Te'rani, their parents knew her parents many, many years ago.

They had to thank Eywa for giving them such an amazing friend and neighbor, with whom they practically share homes with. Sometimes Te'rani would bring Tsireya and baby sit Fpe'ut for them and teach him weaving or fishing.